Subject: Normative statements about <navtitle>

We have the following content in the draft DITA 2.0 topic for <navtitle>

Processing expectations

When the <navtitle> element is used in a topic, processors should use the contents of the element to generate the navigation title.

When the <navtitle> element is used in a map, processors should retrieve the navigation title in the following order:

  1. From the content of a <navtitle> element in the map, if the containing <topicref> element sets the value of the @locktitle attribute to "yes"
  2. From the contents of a <navtitle> element in the referenced topic
  3. From the title of the referenced topic

The lower-case "should" is from the DITA 1.x spec; I suspect that we want normative language here for DITA 2.0.

But do we want to make it SHOULD or MUST?

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)