Subject: Re: [dita] DITA for Technical Content

Here is how the Society for Technical Communication definesÂtechnical communication:

Technical communication is a broad field and includes any form of communication that exhibits one or more of the following characteristics:
  • Communicating about technical or specialized topics, such as computer applications, medical procedures, or environmental regulations.
  • Communicating by using technology, such as web pages, help files, or social media sites.
  • Providing instructions about how to do something, regardless of how technical the task is or even if [a]Âtechnology is used to create or distribute that communication.
That definition is sufficiently broad to cover everything included in the DITA 1.3 Technical Content package. If we are to provide what was in that package as a single separate work product, then I don't believe there is a better name for it than "Technical communication."

Partitioning the technical content package is an interesting idea that Chris Nitche has begun discussing in a separate message to the list. But, even if the TC were to accept Chris's suggestion, the general-purpose partition would still need to be called "Technical communication."

Best regards,
Bob Thomas