Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 31 July 2018 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will try to set up a time for a Git tutorial, maybe Weds?
2. Kris will talk to Joe Pairman his 2.0 proposal about generic universal attribute for metadata

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 31 July 2018
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Alan Houser, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Jim Tivy

Business
========
1. Roll call
Regrets: Bill Burns, Maria Essig, Dick Hamilton, Bob Thomas

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
24 June 2018:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201807/msg00051.html (Harrison, 24 July 2018)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Scott, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New TC members: None

4. Action items
26 June 2018:
Robert: Review OASIS guidelines about normative statements and present at a meeting
[planned to cover today, but didn't get to it]

5. Report from Balisage 2018 Symposium on Markup Vocabulary Ecosystems
- Kris; it was interesting, my first time, very different crowd from DITA conferences. People were interested in my presentation, so I presented info about the plethora of DITA resources out there, and different industries now using DITA.
- Tom; I'd like to see your slides sometime; is that pssible?
- Kris; sure, I'll send them.
- Alan; did you have conversations with Norm Walsh?
- Kris; in his talk about DocBook, he mentioned that DITA had a whole lot of traction, didn't sound like 'DITA isn't XML' (the way he used to...). This might be a good conference for us to send people to periodically, an eye-opeenr to me, since I didn't have a huge amount of knowledge of DocBook, TEI, etc., I was amazed at how much time people spend on interoperability.
[short discussion of DocBook/TEI and interop]

6. DITA spec editing needs
GitHub education
- Eliot; I'd be happy to do a tutorial
- Tom; I'd appreciate that, haven't found a good tutorial yet; would like to have more facility, both at command line, and wrt Kris's tool Sourcetree, but I'd rather have an intro. What tools do Eliot and Robert use?
- Eliot; Sourcetree and command line; now using sourcetree almoost exclusively.
- Tom; I'm sure it makes life easier for someone who understands Git, but I'm not there yet
- Eliot; Git is different enough from older source control systems to need its own intro.
- -Tom; also, the repositories I want to work with are ones I don't want to screw up, so it would be nice if we had a practice repository to work in.
- Robert; one of the things to learn about Git is that you create your own copy of repository, and it can't cause problems in main repo. but it's something to get used to.
- Kris; Eliot, is there a time next week when you could do this?
***ActionItem: Kris will try to set up a time for a Git tutorial, maybe Weds?

7. Review status of DITA 2.0 proposals in progress
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/projects/2
[reviewed proposals needing tracking]
Stage 3:
--------
#106: 'allow steps to nest'
- Robert; target 8/15
#105: 'redesign chunking'
- Robert; don't have a date for that, will check in end of august (8/28)
#15: 'loosen attribute specialization rules'
- Chris; still have too much on plate to give myself a deadline for that.

#8: 'Add a new vocabulary element for inclusion of external XML and text markup'
- Chris; submitted to reviewers, I think, on 6/5; nothing back from them.
- Robert; remember getting a review email, but nothing more; I'll check
- Kris; Robert and Eliot, when will yhou have review feedback for Chris?
- Eliot and Robert; end of next week.

Stage 2:
--------
#107 'add strong and em elements'
- Keith; no progres to report, but should now have some time to tackle that
- Kris; thanks

#21: 'resolve inconsistent class att for shortdesc, linktext, and searchtitle'
- Eliot; swamped, not sure when I can get to this, will try to schedule it.

#34 ('Remove topicset, topicsetref element ') & #33 ('Deprecate or remove copy-to attribute')
- Eliot; for #34, I thought I'd submitted something, for #33, will take deeper thought, not sure when I can get to it.

#16: 'Add titlealts to maps'
- Kris; I need to get rid of this one; it's much more complicated that I originally thought. Pls remove my name from this.

#13: 'Split base and technical content'
[Bob not here] we need to have formal work done on this.

#29: 'Modify bookmap design'
[Eric not here]; Eric offered an 8/14 date for this, pls enter it in card.
- Tom; will it be a problem if things keep trickling in?
- Robert; only if it gets to stage 2.
- Scott; I did submit a proposal on changehistorylist and asked if it could be part of bookmap.
- Tom; that's what led me to my previous question.
- Kris; whenever new bookmap proposals come up, we'v been dealing with them as separate stage 1 proposals, and then, if approved, moving into stage two #29. That is, they're accepted as Stage 1 items, accepted but don't have owners.

Stage 1:
--------
- Tom; what's our goal for reviewing Stage 1 proposals?
- Kris; overall review; if someone owns something, we need to get ETAs, if not, we need to know if osmeone is interested, whether someone will take it on.

#155: 'Rename XML mention domain elements to meet rules of XML spec'
- Tom; we decided this needed to be done, any volunteers? Eliot would be a good candidate, but his plate is full.
- Eliot, just so
- Tom; any other champion?
- Kris; some of Eliot's other stage 2 items are straightforward, if someone could take those on, and free you up.
- Tom; so no progress now,
- Alan; I'll volunteer.

#123: Allow broader use of property tables in reference topics
- Robert; this was introduced by Jang, but nobody's volunteered to own it.
- Tom; does anyone know if Jang is planning to come back and could work on this?
[no action taken]

#114: User defined topicref formatter values
- Tom; whose is this?
- Chris; mine, I'm trying to come up with a way non-XML content can be included in content.
- Tom; but you're full up, aren't you?
- Chris; not TC-wise, but real life wise, yes...
- Tom; if you could pick up one, would it be this?
- Chris; don't know

#98: New titleless topic
[Dawn, but she's not here]
- Tom; can Dawn do this? shall we hold it for her? if Dawn is reluctant because of Github tools and stage proposal process, what to do?

#97: Modifications to image for metadata, alternate image references
Eliot; I defined additional content models for that, but never made it past that.
Tom; folks without proposals, please condiider taking one on, if you don't have any.

#96: Generic universal attribute for metadata
[originally suggested by joe pairman]
- Kris; more related to original discussions around rDF, but a slimmed down proposal that emerged from that.
- Tom; it's an analog to data element; provides ability to add a generic @ the way we can add data as a generic element.
- Alan; I'd volunteer.
- Kris; I'll talk to Joe about this.
- Keith; I'd be interested in this as well, so add my name as well.
- Kris; when we have multiple people speaking up about a proposal, we should put it back on the TC call.
- Robert; how should I modify this item?
[Kris will talk to Joe]
***ActionItem: Kris will talk to Joe P about this

[no number] Consider how to indicate that release mgmt domain usage should result in generated topic, based on query from Stefan: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201711/msg00003.html
- Robert; this I related to scott's suggestion for list;
- Tom; Scott, is this the basis for yours?
- Scott; no
- Tom; maybe Scott should review this and talk to Stefan.
- Robert; when I saw your proposal, I thought it was based on this.
- Scott; I'll talk to him.
- Tom; Scott's item isn't on here, since we haven't even discussed it.
We can do that next week.
- Kris; do we need to, or can we use this item? also this should not be included in bookmap mods.
- Scott; well, I can do that and work with Stefan to make sure it will meet his needs as well.

[no number]: Rework foot note design
- Tom; there are 2 basic ways to do footnotes; we do them both ways, should there just be one way? So, do we need to have a discussion, or can we just need a champion for this?
- Carlos; I feel strongly, but I think I'd want a discussion at TC level before I take it on.
- Tom; what to do?
- Kris; mark that Carlos might be interested, but wants more discussion; continue looking for priorities.

#28: New map for publications in base
- Tom; is new bookmap designed to do this?
- Robert; no
- Kris; we need more concrete support, more concrete details.
- Tom; initial proposal will definitely get a lot of feedback.
- Alan; how do we kill things on these lists? This has been here for a long time with no champion.
- Kris; also, we need to have some new features for 2.0 to be appealing; this was one of those. let's put it on agenda.

[no number?] Make L&T a separate work product.
- Tom; this card isn't like the others; we won't forget about it; is it really a stage proposal?
- Robert; I would be happy to recognize this as already decided and move on.
- Kris; agreed

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 31 July 2018

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison