Subject: Re: [dita] DITA users want more (and better) examples

I had a look through the notes made from the various DITA Listening Sessions in the past and found this nice summary of user comments relating to relating to the DITA specification in general:

San Jose DITA spec Would like a searchable version of the spec.
Cambridge DITA spec The spec needs more complex examples, ones that do not dwell on obvious/easy stuff.
Denver DITA spec Not seeing top-notch technical writing in the spec.
Denver DITA spec Must develop internal DITA specs to compensate for lack of clarity and good examples in the spec.
Littleton DITA spec The examples are not realistic, too simplistic for teams deploying features with complex content.
Littleton DITA spec Need examples and use cases directed toward multiple audiences (technical, managerial, financial).
San Jose DITA spec More use cases and examples would be helpful.
San Jose DITA spec Need more holistic examples.
San Jose DITA spec Spec needs to be more accessible, too difficult to drill down and to get needed information.
San Jose DITA spec Need better examples in the spec.

As you can see, the most common refrain from the DITA users we have spoken to is that they are seeking better examples within the specification (and it is clear that people have been turning to the specification for this type of information).

There were also comments across a few of the DITA Listening Sessions that some of the code examples that are out there (such as Thunderbird, oXygen's docs and Eliot's DITA 4 Publishers examples), were very useful as a supplementary source. So people want better, more realistic, examples in the specification, while knowing that there are other resources that are also available.

I have passed along your more specific questions to the people who are running the next DITA Listening Session tomorrow, so we ought to have some answers prior to the next meeting.

Cheers!

-

Keith Schengili-Roberts
Market Researcher and DITA Evangelist

IXIASOFT
825 Querbes, Suite 200, Montréal, Québec, Canada, H2V 3X1
tel  + 1 514 279-4942  /  toll free + 1 877 279-4942