Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 January 2019 uploaded

Submitter's message
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 15 January 2019
Recorded by Nancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts

Business
========
1. Roll call
Regrets: Carlos Evia, Alan Houser, Eliot Kimber, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
8 January 2019:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00011.html (Harrison, 15 January 2018)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Bill, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New TC members: None

4. Action items
Kris & Robert: Perform the best edit of multimedia topics that they can do in time available; due 18 September
Kris: Review conversation with Joe Pairman, e-mails about metadata, and TC discussion in late 2017/early 2018; summarize to TC
30 October 2018:
Kris: Open GitHub issue for committee note PDF issue regarding formatting (some URLs are not blue) on coverpage
Eliot: Test refactoring of grammar files
Spec editors incorporate changes from DITAweb review
[no change to items from Aug - Nov]
18 December
Eliot: Investigate issue re: earningAggregationsTopicrefConstraintMod.xsd
Kris: Respond to e-mail from Wolf-Dieter Wurst on dita-comment
Chris: Update titlealts proposal to include changes from 08 Jan 2019 TC meeting
[no change to any items]

5. Report from DITA Adoption TC
- Keith; Adoption TC had meeting last week; one of our projects is a collaboration between Scott and me to fully 'DITA-fy' an old WW II pilot training manual for an old aircraft. We've been working on it since Xmas; an early version is on the ditawriter repository on Github. The idea is to move it, once it's closer to completion, to the DITA Adoption site. The purpose is to provide more real-world examples.
- Scott; and examples from a variety of different industries; we're also looking to get samples from other industries as well, to have a good large set of examples.
- Keith; as someone who's worked mostly in software, I discovered there are differenes stylistically between software and other types of doc. This effort is still in progress; check out ditawriter on Github. We're currently looking for suggestions to help make this better, so hoping folks will look it over.
- Kris; what kind of DITA best practices are you looking to model?
- Keith; some are noted in the docs on the site; we want to make files totally extensible; we want all images and tables fully DITA-fied, and have all images within a keystore.
- Scott; so basically, key-based referencing, some glossary terms, abbreviated forms, using keys to the fullest extent is one of the essential goals...
- Kris; it sounds less like best practices and more like examples of good DITA markup...
- Keith; what do you see as the difference between 'best practices' and simply 'good DITA markup'?
- Kris; I see best practices as more about writing practices, including short desc., alt text for images, etc, as opposed to markup practices.
- Keith; Stan has come up with a fairly comprehensive list of freely available DITA examples; Scott, how do you think those provide good examples of how DITA should be done?
- Scott; the sample doc sets are all over the place; I'll talk about this at DITA/NA; we want examples of how to use keys, reltabes, etc, with substantial content, not just a couple of items.
- Stan; we have a white paper on flagging; i.e., how to do flagging, using conkeyref to scope content to particular platforms, features, releases, etc; we've collected a bunch of these; once I get more feedback, I'll incorporate it.
- Kris; I think it would be useful if you posted locations for the repository and white paper, so TC members can find them and they can go in the minutes. Also, are there users who are not using flagging because of using SDL CMS?
[location of bomber manual is:
https://github.com/DITAWriter/pilot_training_mitchell_bomber ]
- Stan; yes for a couple of users; a third doesn't have timely access to updating processing pipeline.
- Kris; are they using XDocs?
- Stan; nothing that good; there's a central group responsible for updating ditavals, and a 3-4 month backlog in updating.
- Robert; my gut reaction is that's a real process problem in that company; I'm not sure it makes sense for the Adoption group to make recommendations for how to go around ridiculous process limitations; it's definitely not a best practice... It's a bit weird to have Adoption TC documenting how to use a 'worst practice'.
- Keith; we'll make sure to make that clear in the white paper.
- Kris; I'd like more companies using SDL to go to SDL and ask them to provide flagging in their CMS; even if it's not according to the spec.

6. CMS/DITA NA 2019
What TC members are attending? What topics are they presenting on?
Kris Eberlein and Joe Gollner, DITA metadata in the enterprise context
Carlos Evia, Multimedia components in DITA and LwDITA
Alan Houser, LwDITA Tools Support
Robert Anderson, What should you put on your DITA registry?, plus co-presentation with team lead about DITA infrastructure in IBM
Scott Hudson, Farewell to style errors: Using Schematron and Vale
Stan Doherty, Managing Complexity: Making Effective Use of Sample DITA Documentation Sets
Tom Magliery, How long is a topic
Carsten Brennecke, Linking between outputs and project maps
- Kris; who else is prensenting?
- Nancy; doing a talk on packkkkkaging techcomm, past and future.
- Keith; doing a joint presentation with Leigh White on 'Finally, Multimedia and DITA'; we thought it was the same as Carlos's till I saw his title last week.
- Deb; doing a talk on 'RFI to ROI; how to prove the value of your CMS'
- Robert; doing 2 talks, 1. Open Toolkit and 2. plugin registry. I'm
co-presenting with another member of our tiny IBM DITA team (managing DITA tools & infrastructure for ~900 writers with team of 4 people, not including translation)
- Scott; presenting on 'converting schematron rules for a tool called Vale'
- Kris; Nancy, Deb, Keith, please add your talks to the agenda wiki page after the meeting.

7. Presentation for DITA NA?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00008.html (Stevens, 10 Jan 2019)
- Kris; wrt the 1st point in Dawn's email (bookmap changes), Chris, could you lead a forum?
- Chris; no, I won't be there
- Keith; I'll talk to Eric, and see if he'll be interested, since he's supposed to be working on bookmap.
- Robert; do what you can to get him there; though I worked with him at IBM for years, I've never met Eric in person...
- Kris; wrt the 2nd point; the panel didn't seem very useful last year; seemed to be simply a plug for one company using a skewed survey.
[concurrence that the panel last year wasn't very successful, and TC is disinclined to participate in a similar one this year.]
- Robert; that was last year's panel, so when I saw her mail I wrote to Dawn; this one is a return to previous closing sessions.
- Kris; in that case I'd like to encourage everyone to stay for that panel; we'll stay posted for more info from DAwn.
- Kris; on her 3rd point. wrt a dita-adoption table in the vendor area, do we want a table one for the DITA TC as well? I think it would be useful if we figure out what kind of data we want to get from folks.
- Stan; I talked to Dawn about this specifically.
- Kris; I think it's a great idea and we should take her offer; we might be able to recruit some folks to do work on 2.0 techcomm package. I'll respond to her and let her know we want to do it.
- Tom; I can help.
[Nancy, Stan also volunteered to help with TC table.]
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00009.html (Kimber, 10 Jan 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00009.html (Evia, 10 Jan 2019)

8. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0

9. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Vote
Issue 16: titlealts improvements
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201812/msg00016.html (Nitchie, 17 December 2018)

Chris moved to move this to stage 3, 2nd by Bill
Results:
approve 11 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts)
not approve 0

10. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
Vote
Issue 08: New include element
https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dita/download.php/64447/latest/Issue08-stage3-include.html (Nitchie, 18 December 2018)
Chris moved to move this into implementation stage, 2nd by Robert
Results:
approve 11 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts)
not approve 0

Other Discussion Items [not from agenda]:

- Robert; wrt the proposal on titleless topics; I had agreed to do a review of the stage 2 proposal, but I'm not sure what to do. If the TC is going to have us redo that proposal, I'm not sure what to review. What are we doing?
- Stan; I was similarly conflicted, but I'd signed up for it and had a deadline, so I did the best review I could...
- Robert; I just don't have a clear feeling of what to do.
- Kris; you raise a good point. I'm not sure what to suggest; my sense of the consencus is that we liked the idea of having a specialization @ that would only be available on certain elements in certain doctypes. So this proposal would be changed, and would rely on Chris's proposal on specializing @s.
- Robert; so if I can review the proposal with that in mind, I can do the review.
- Kris; that's a good plan; I think this will have to go back to the drafting stage and wait for Chris's proposal.
- Chris; that proposal is waiting for a stage 3 iteration, and it will be a massive stage 3 proposal, because it's down and dirty in the weeds.
- Robert; correct. stage 2 was approved July 18th, we're waiting for stage 3.

- Keith; one point; when dita-adoption has a table or representation at DITA/NA, we have handouts; so if TC has a table, they should have something similar.
- Kris; we'll have it as an ongoing item on the agenda, so we can work on that.

11:48 ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 January 2019

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison