Subject: Re: [dita] Supporting LwDITA Implementors Quickly

I want to address a few points that Alan raises:

Role of the LwDITA committee note

An OASIS committee note is (by definition) a non-standards track work product. As such, a committee note cannot provide a "canonical definition." However, I do think the LwDITA committee note presents a clear description of the LwDITA design that is more than adequate for implementers to use to develop LwDITA applications and implementations.

Terminology that the DITA TC uses in formal OASIS documents

What terminology we can use is very context-driven. OASIS publications are divided into two tracks, and the terminology that we can use differs, I think, based on the track:

  • Standards track
    OASIS specifications define an OASIS standard. They must follow the OASIS-provided template that covers both what a specification must contain and how it is formatted. Specifications must contain normative references, use keywords from either [RFC2119] or [ISO/IEC Directives], and include conformance clauses that refer to the normative statements (made using [RFC2119] or [ISO/IEC Directives]) that appear in the body of the specification.

    What terminology can (or perhaps must) we use in specifications? This has not been explored or tested. One approach might be that we must use the vocabulary that is used in the specifications that are the normative references: DITA, XHTML, and XML specifications. We may well need to get OASIS Technical Advisory Board involved to help us here.

  • Non-standards track
    OASIS committee notes provide ancillary information to assist in understanding and implementing the Standards Track work. They must follow the OASIS-provided template that covers both what a committee note must contain and how it is formatted. Committee notes must not contain normative information.

    I'd argue that committee notes have greater latitude in the vocabulary used. If LwDITA advocates want to use the generic term "component," that is OK, although I wonder if the term "structural component" might be more precise.

Note that I am avoiding the term vocabulary, since I think it overlaps with meaning of what structural components (elements and attributes) are permitted in LwDITA.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)