Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 5 February 2019 uploaded

Correction:

I did initially say this:

    - Eliot; processing expectations aren't normative, nor are formatting.

But subsequently was corrected and agreed with the correction that processing and formatting expectations are normative (where not within examples).

I try to make a clear distinction between processing and formatting, where by "processing" I mean data processing applied to the initial source as authored that results in the effective source reflecting the application of filtering, address resolution, and content reference resolution.

Formatting is then everything that might then be done to the effective source to produce some deliverable, even if that formatting involves applying transforms to the effective source.  Because the end result is some specific deliverable it's all "formatting" from the point of view of the DITA specification.

Processing requirements are normative and required ("MUST" statements). You cannot have a conforming DITA processor that does not resolve addresses in the way the DITA specification requires, if you do filtering you must produce the results required by the spec, etc., if you implement content reference resolution you must do it as the specification requires.

Formatting *expectations* are (or can be) normative statements but are never MUST statements, only SHOULD statements, which gives them more weight than non-normative examples or suggestions would be and that's still an important distinction because SHOULD statements express the considered opinion and intent of the TC, while examples are just "here's a way you might do it if you feel like it."

I think I was conflating presentation expectations with examples (which are explicitly not normative).

http://contrext.com