Subject: Re: [dita] DITA Stage 1 Proposal: Accommodations in DITA 2.0 for LwDITA

Hi Alan,

The grammar files do not (and should not) provide enumerated values for the format attribute. If they did, you likely wouldn't be allowed to put in values like "mdita" or "hdita" today -- I don't think those were used yet back in 2014 / 2015 so they wouldn't have been part of the spec. Keeping the attribute open allows us to reference any type of content we want, as well as allowing for new formats as they arise.

That said, I think it makes sense to list the expected Lightweight DITA tokens in the topic that defines the format attribute. Listing them would lead to greater consistency between full DITA / lightweight DITA implementations, which is always good. Also, I'd say our closely related LwDITA spec is at least as important to acknowledge as the current format="txt" example:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/dita/v1.3/errata02/os/complete/part1-base/langRef/attributes/theformatattribute.html#theformatattribute

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Alan Houser ---02/24/2019 12:09:06 PM---Colleagues, I submit a DITA 2.0 stage 1 proposal, below, to aAlan Houser ---02/24/2019 12:09:06 PM---Colleagues, I submit a DITA 2.0 stage 1 proposal, below, to accommodate referencing

From: Alan Houser <arh@groupwellesley.com>
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Date: 02/24/2019 12:09 PM
Sent by: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Colleagues,

I submit a DITA 2.0 stage 1 proposal, below, to accommodate referencing
and processing of Lightweight DITA content in DITA 2.0.

If the TC approves to proceed, I would be pleased to champion this proposal.

-Alan

--
Alan Houser
Group Wellesley, Inc.

-----

DITA 2.0 Stage 1 Proposal
Accommodations in DITA 2.0 for LwDITA-conforming processors

The Lightweight DITA subcommittee envisions that DITA 2.0 processors may
support referencing and processing of Lightweight DITA content (topics
and maps in some or all LwDITA authoring formats) in DITA content
collections. To accommodate this possibility, we propose to add
attribute values to the appropriate element types in the DITA 2.0
specification and grammar files.

Proposed changes:

<topicref @format> - add enumerated values "hdita", "mdita", "xdita",
"hditamap", "mditamap", and "xditamap".