Subject: Re: [dita] Action item completed - "Review Stan's Examples"

As regards examples in the spec, I think it's important for examples to illustrate important cases, especially where specific cases are either not obvious or are edge cases. One of the challenges in the spec to date is that the examples are sometimes too simple for elements where the implications of certain cases are not necessarily obvious. This is especially the case where two or more elements might interact or might have different implications based on different attribute values or whatever, such as in maps and with keys. There aren't that many of these cases but when they do occur I think it's important to illustrate them in the spec as much as we can.

I think the examples in the XSLT 3 spec are a good model: they tend to illustrate all the key features or variants of a particular mechanism, complete enough to be realistic but not over detailed.

Of course, one challenge editorially is that we don't always realize that something is an edge case until we've got significant practical experience....

But I do agree that complexity just for the sake of illustration is not that useful--that's the role of instruction and commentary outside the spec.

Cheers,

Eliot

http://contrext.com