OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 March 2019 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Kris and Stan will set up wiki page to encourage non-active members of TC to staff the DITA TC table at DITA/NA, to be done by 4/2
2. Kris, Robert, Tom, and Carlos made commitments about completing some of their current outstanding action items by 4/2 or 4/9; see Action items section for details.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 26 March 2019
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Carsten Brennecke, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Hancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber, Tom Magliery, Chris Nitchie, Eric Sirois, Jim Tivy

1. Roll call
Regrets: Deb Bissantz, Alan Houser

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
19 March 2019
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00026.html (Harrison, 21 March 2019)
Moved by Kris, 2nd by Scott, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
New TC members: None

4. Action items
Kris; folks, we really need to clean this up; there's stuff from last summer still on it; we need to have deadlines for these.
21 August 2018
Kris & Robert: Perform the best edit of multimedia topics that they can do in time available; due 18 September
- Robert; scheduling problem; need to schedul and stick to it
- Kris; by April 23rd
11 September 2018
Kris: Review conversation with Joe Pairman, e-mails about metadata, and TC discussion in late 2017/early 2018; summarize to TC
- Kris; this will be a phase one proposal, do by week from today 4/2
13 November 2018
Eliot: Test refactoring of grammar files
- Eliot; by May 7
Spec editors incorporate changes from DITAweb review (Significant progress, very near to completion)
- Kris;, Robert; mostly done, by 4/9
18 December 2018
Eliot: Investigate issue re LearningAggregationsTopicrefConstraintMod.xsd
- Eliot; I thought I did that...
- Kris; the work left was to suggest what we have to do to move forward, changes to particular DTD file(s) in 2.0
- Eliot; then by 5/7
22 January 2019
Kris and Robert: Schedule meeting to plan moving forward on implementing complete DITA 2.0 proposals
- Kris; we'll meet this week, close out by next week
29 January 2019:
Robert, Tom, Scott: Review examples that Stan suggests adding to DITA 2.0 spec
- Tom; we met, will send summary to list
- Kris; thanks, an email will let us put it on 4/2 agenda for discussion
- Tom; we met yesterday & went thru entire set of examples from Stan, Those were all examples that Stan produced as comments to element topics for LwD; most of this stuff would be better off in an adoption TC paper. There were several examples too complex for spec itself; i.e., too much beyond the element itself; one that had a technical problem; another that might be good for a different element topic than the one it's in. Seems as though any example we use should be either a common case or a best practice, though this conflicts a bit with sentiment about implementors needing as much info as possible from xamples. So we need TC to discuss.
- Kris; we can discuss this next week after Tom's email coming later today. We have examples in both element ref and arch spec; they might need to be slightly different, also we might hand off complex examples to adoption TC for one of their papers.
- Tom; one rejected example talked about keys in a non-key element, and there are lots of other examples about keys in more relevant places.
- Robert; it wasn't rejected because it had keys, but because there are lots of others in better locations.
- Kris; thank you again, Stan, for creating those eamples and putting them in DITAWeb.
- Robert; in some cases we felt that yes, the spec needs more, but not quite as much as this, maybe soemething in the middle.
- Kris; we haven't yet addressed how we bring toegether arch spec and element ref for 2.0.
New owner Carlos: Set up regularly scheduled calls between DITA 2.0 and LwDITA spec editors
- Carlos; discuss by 4/19, after conference; will have something to bring back to TC by 4/26.
05 February 2019:
Kris: Add fix to 'xmlnamespace' topic to list of things to fix in 2.0.
- Kris; do by today
12 February 2019
Tom: Summarize meeting with Robert and Scott to go over the additional examples Stan proposed for DITA 2.0
- Tom; do by today
19 February 2019
Alan and Tom: Have functional stylesheets for DITA spec (PDF and XHTML) by DITA NA conference
- Tom; do by today
05 March 2019:
Alan: Update DITA 2.0 files for appropriate elements with LwD hint values for @format and create a pull request
- [Alan not on call]
Carlos & Alan: Select three element reference topics that exist in both LwDITA and DITA 2.0 for LWDITA and DITA editors to work on
- Carlos; do by 4/9

5. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
[move Eliot's feb 12 items to stage 3 and move to '??'

6. Stylesheets
OASIS has agreed to build actual style specifications, with our help
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00012.html (Eberlein, 04 March 2019)
Updates on committee note:
Now runs on DITA-OT 3.3 (both PDF and HTML5
Update on spec:
Now runs on DITA-OT 3.3
Latest news: OASIS is willing to minimize differences between specifications and committee notes
- Kris; good news is that OASIS is willing to remove most differences bwetween specs and CNs; they'll be the same except for different text in header of cover page, and text in footer. This will make our life much easier. It was very different before, and the changes are being driven in part by our providing actual specifications, which is showing them what they really need to do. There are now TCs authoring specs in Markdown, and having OASIS provide output, so they're finding how just how much work it takes.
- Tom; so is OASIS producing specs?
- Kris; yes, they're doing it for the TCs using Markdown; as a result, they're willing to greatly standardize what they do.
- Tom; so the good news is that they'll have to standardize on a not too complex ourput format, since Markdown just won't accomodate anything really complex; that makes it easier for us.
- Robert; so the age of Markdown is forcing standards organizations to discover the value of standards... [tongue firmly in cheek...]

7. New item: Conformance content in the MQTT Version 5.0 (candidate) spec
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201903/msg00020.html (Eberlein, 14 March 2019)
Guidelines to Writing Conformance Clauses for OASIS Specifications, last updated 02 April 2017
- Kris; who looked at these materials? (Carlos, Nancy, Chris)
table format looks nicce; means we need to be able to pull data out, in readable format
- Chris; I just looked via a quick script and we have almost 300.
- Kris; sounds about right; what do folks think about using the MQTT method
- Eliot; not sure I would consider their appendix aa conformance statement. From what I understand about how to write a conformance statement, it needs to be in the form of; 'in order to conform, you must do what this sction tells you to do', which is different from the actual conformance clause. We need to make clear the difference between conformance statements and normative statements. We have conformance statements, but we don't have this summary of normative statements.
- Kris; there are 2 things we need and don't have:
1. this kind of appendix with a consolidated summary of normative material, which is not itself normative.
2. we also don't have conformance claims that clearly state conformance targets and linkages between conformance claims and actual conformance statements in spec.
- Tom; MQTT appendix is saying 'you're going to find all the conformance statements in chapters listed below; in order to be conformant, you need to conformto all the MUST statements.'
- Kris; it's time for us to look at our conformance targets; the work is going to be; how do we define them? what do we need to say aout them? More rigor will greatly improve quality of spec in 2.0, and we have to do this to comply with OASIS quality guidelines. In addition, having more rigor will give implementors a better overview of what it means to claim that a processor, plugin, or document is compliant with DITA spec.
- Eliot; reading MQTT, I disagree with how they qualify; they say these are conformance statements, but they are actually simply identifying conformance statements to which you must conform.
- Kris; we'll have to do a review of latest OASIS guidelines on conformance statements and targets. When I say conformance statement, I mean any statement in which we're using RFC terminology,
- Eliot; those are normative statements, confromance statements are statemensts about what conforms.
- Kris; we should talk more about this. I think how OASIS is using the terminology has shifted over last couple of years.
- Tom; Eliot's language sounds logical to me too.
- Kris; we need to be clear on what terms OASIS uses, and which terms we'll use.

8. Continuing item: CMS/DITA NA 2019
Sessions from DITA TC members; are we missing any?
Kris Eberlein [with Joe Gollner], DITA and Metadata at an Enterprise Scale
Carlos Evia, Multimedia components in DITA and LwDITA
Alan Houser, LwDITA Tools Support
Robert Anderson, What should you put on your DITA registry?, plus co-presentation with team lead about DITA infrastructure in IBM
Scott Hudson, Farewell to style errors: Using Schematron and Vale
Stan Doherty, Managing Complexity: Making Effective Use of Sample DITA Documentation Sets
Carsten Brennecke, Linking between outputs and project maps
Deb Bissantz, RFI to ROI: How to Prove the Value of your Component Content Management System
Nancy Harrison, DITA packaging; past, present and future of DITA TechComm
Eliot Kimber (with Wayne Brissette): Glossary How-To
Dawn Stevens, The Balanced Scorecard: Measuring success before, during, and after content development
Sunday or Monday?
Restaurant or brew pub/music hall/rooftop bar?
- Kris took a poll of folks on call attending conference, consensus seems to be Sunday night, informal
Brainstorm about how we could use a table in the vendor area most effectively
- Kris; any work items around this? Stan, any updates?
- Stan; we have a flyer to hand out, goodies, cookies. We've decided on some high-traffic times when we want to make sure at least one person is at the table, to field questions and hopefully sign up people for the TCs.
- Kris; one suggestion; would be useful to have a wiki page that invited non-active members of Adoption TC to staff the table.
- Stan; I had an action item to create one of those.
***ActionItem: Kris and Stan will set up wiki page for this.
- Kris; I will have one handout for local restaurants, with links to websites, to make it easier to pick. If any of you are setting up client meetings and need a good place, let me know, I can help.
Lunch before Wednesday DITA 2.0 panel
- Kris; who will be there Weds afternoon? We should either go somewhere for lunch, or have it brought in. (conference doesn't provide Weds. lunch.)
[Robert, Stan, Nancy, Alan, Eliot, Keith, Eric, maybe Deb? will be there thru lunch]

9. Continuing item: Proposed review of DITA 2.0 elements to LwDITA components
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201902/msg00042.html (Evia, 09 February 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201902/msg00047.html (Eberlein, 12 February 2019)
- This item on hold until LwDITA spec and DITA 2.0 spec editors collaboratively edit these topics.

10. Continuing item: October 2018 DITAweb review: Topics that exist in both DITA 2.0 and LwDITA
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 26 January 2019)
(UPDATED) https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201901/msg00054.html (Eberlein, 29 January 2019)
[no update]

11. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
[no updates]

12. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
[no updates]

13. DITA 2.0 stage one proposals

14. Review status of DITA 2.0 proposals in progress

Other: Agenda items 15 - 19 (all relating to resolving differences between LwD and 2.0 spec)
- Kris; wrt agenda items 15-19? what shall wee do about these? Is there anything we can do about them in a TC call, or are they simply things the spec editors need to work on?
- Carlos; now that 2.0 and LwD spec editors will be working together, they should be addressed that way.
- Nancy; we did discuss all of these in January, but now they seem to be in the purview of combined spec editors.
- Kris; I will remove them from agenda
- Tom; we need to keep these on the radar, so we can make sure they're covered; editors need to keep these around on a list, if not, we should keep a reference item on the agenda.
- Kris; I'll ask for a volunteer to look at these next week.
[removing items #15 - #19, listed on the archived agenda for this meeting, from the minutes, since there was no discussion of them individually]

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 March 2019

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2019-03-27 10:08:15

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]