Subject: Fwd: DITA questions on TechComm package / profile

Forwarding (hope that is OK, Nancy!) to flesh out the agenda item.

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: DITA questions on TechComm package / profile
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 09:53:44 -0700
From: Nancy <nancylph@gmail.com>
To: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>, Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>

Hi,

As I create my DITA/NA presentation, which will be on the future of the techcomm package (with a nod to its history), I'm realizing I have some questions that I can't answer. I'm thinking that either one of you knows the answers, or if you don't, we need to put the question on the agenda for the next TC meeting, so we can make a decision on it.Â

Note: I may be asking questions that can be answered by looking at the latest 2.0 grammar files,, so if that's the case, and you can point me to them on either the OASIS website or in Github, that would be great.

1. In making techcomm a profile - and I would love to be pointed to the location on the OASIS website where they define their idea of a profile - will that mean that there is no overlap at all between techcomm and base DITA, or will there still be some items in techcomm that reproduce items in base DITA, as there are now? (I'm thinking about the fact that there's an extra topic.mod in the techcomm 'dtd' folder, not the majority of the base, which I know won't be included). My understanding of a profile is that it isn't a stand-alone functional structure; it absolutely depends on having base DITA available. Is that correct?ÂÂ
2. The 1.3Â techcomm content is in its own directory, but that directory doesn't include the xnal, bookmap, or machineryIndustry material, which each have their own directories as well. But those 3 pieces are included in techcomm from the point of view of the 1.3 spec. Will those things be part of 2.0 techcomm? will they be removed from the 2.0 base?ÂÂ

Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy Harrison
Infobridge SolutionsÂ