Subject: Re: [dita] Stage one proposal: Allow <example> in same locations as <div>

More thoughts on example before I get distracted by life and forget to respond.
Why I might want to tag something for example:

Some big long block that I want to title "Example: Do the thing" or provide special formatting (different background color, box, maybe even off into a sidebar).
Sometimes, these blocks are big and could almost be topics unto themselves.

I can see uses for small example content/snippets in lists and tables. These probably don't need titles, but I might want to highlight them in some way.

Potentially, if it were an option, to be able to tag inline with <userinput> or <codeph/block>, where the example content is. A lot of users cut and paste code samples/command-line stuff out of the doc. Being able to easily show the difference between "these are the commands you should run" vs. "this is my example file name or property value" could be useful. (Potentially for accessibility as well). Sometimes I do that with <varname>, but that's not always semantically correct. I don't always want to flag the whole command as <example>.

I don't feel that I need to mark everything that has "for example" in it.

ZoÃ

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Eliot Kimber <ekimber@contrext.com>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 7:49 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

http://contrext.com

ïOn 6/10/19, 7:05 PM, "Scott Hudson" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org on behalf of scott.hudson@jeppesen.com> wrote:

    The content model for example is much too restrictive, limiting how and where content can be semantically marked as exemplary content. As a result, writers often hardcode paragraphs with "For example:â" or
     other non-semantic constructions.

    By allowing <example> in more places, content can be properly tagged with the <example> semantic.

    If there are too many models to change, we could also allow <example> within <div>.

    Thanks and best regards,

    --Scott

    Voting member:
    Boeing Data Standards Technical Advisory Board
    OASIS DocBook TC (Secretary), Publishers SC (Chair)
    OASIS DITA TC, Tech Comm SC, LwDITA SC, Learning Content SC (Secretary)
    OASIS DITA Adoption TC
    OASIS Augmented Reality in Information Products (ARIP) TC

    Scott Hudson
    Content Technology Strategist
    Information and Knowledge Services
    Jeppesen
    A Boeing Company

    ph: 303.328.6228 | Mobile : 303.350.7934 | scott.hudson@jeppesen.com
    55 Inverness Drive East | Englewood, CO  80112 | www.jeppesen.com <http://www.jeppesen.com/>

    This document contains only administrative, uncontrolled data under U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations.