Subject: Re: [dita] @lockmeta on <topicmeta>

I've always found @lockmeta to be a bit unclear and have largely implemented it only on a "pretty sure I know what was intended" basis. It's probably something we should consider either removing in 2.0, or pretty heavily redefining.

If you look back through the history of the attribute ...

In DITA 1.0 the attribute was declared in the grammar, but listed as undefined in the spec: http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.0/langspec/topicmeta.html

In DITA 1.1 it was defined but pretty loosely: http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/langref/topicmeta.html
The general goal, as I remember / understood it, was based on a mental model that closely mapped how DITA Open Toolkit processing worked. When you publish something, you had to reconcile which metadata wins (that in the topic, or that in the map). Generally something in the map supplements / overrides what's in the topic, and this was a way to say "Even if something is hard coded in the topic, apply the metadata I've got here". The whole language around "replacing" only makes sense in that toolkit context where you actually have a file where things are added / removed / combined.

DITA 1.2 and 1.3 were slightly clearly in describing what "yes" means -- "If you set this to yes, it means your metadata is locked, and you can't ignore it".

I do think this whole idea of locked metadata is less relevant today than it was when originally imagined. As you can see in that original language, the premise was really based around a DITA-OT model (where metadata is "replaced" during a build).

More recently, in DITA 1.2 and especially in DITA 1.3, we have treated metadata in the map as something associated with that specific context. You can do something with it (or not) based on that context, but we don't mandate whether or not a publication process would "replace" that context-based metadata with something else.

So yeah - it went from declared-but-undefined in 1.0, to loosely defined, to ... still loosely defined even in 1.3. I'm not sure I've seen it used in real docs, and given how hard it is to talk about in the abstract, I'm not sure it's necessary.

For the second part of your question -- the conflict that navigation titles comes out of how those turned from an attribute (in DITA 1.0 / 1.1) into an element in DITA 1.2. These were clearly not meant to be related in DITA 1.0 -- titles were controlled by @locktitle on the topic reference, while metadata was meant to be controlled by @lockmeta. It just happened that <navtitle> was added later into <topicmeta>, which added a bit of confusion. However, the 1.3 specification still clearly describes how titles are controlled by @locktitle (rather than @lockmeta).

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Kristen James Eberlein ---07/11/2019 01:18:56 PM---This is an attribute that we might want to consideKristen James Eberlein ---07/11/2019 01:18:56 PM---This is an attribute that we might want to consider for changes in DITA 2.0. Here what the DITA 1.3