Subject: Re: [dita] Allowed locations for <example>

Just a note that when we talk about putting something "the same places as X" ... actually, literally using that list is usually *slightly* easier to implement. This is because there is usually a group-definition of elements that can be reused.

That said, because this is a base element in DITA, there is definitely no requirement to mirror an existing element, and we would probably want to vary things slightly.

For example -- we have "basic.block" as a general group for block elements ... but we also have "basic block without para" (for use in paragraphs, to keep <p>) from nesting, "basic block without notes" (to keep notes from nesting), and so on.

Based on Scott's analysis and the discussion earlier today, I'd suggest:
- Allow it everywhere that figure can go today,
- Except don"t allow it directly within example, to prevent example-as-child-of-example,
- And maybe (?) also allow it as a child of figure where <fig> can't go today

That would manage to do all of the following:
1. It would allow example to exist where it does today (1.3 use of the element is fully backwards compatible).
2. It would allow example in most block contexts -- I think all of the contexts where Scott was trying to put it.
3. Because everywhere in the list can already have titled figures, it would not create a new context for titled areas. This suggests processors should be able to cope with the new context without much difficulty.
4. It would avoid the "why would they do this" condition of allowing example as a child of example.

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Scott Hudson ---07/16/2019 11:41:47 AM---Here is a list of the elements that example could be containScott Hudson ---07/16/2019 11:41:47 AM---Here is a list of the elements that example could be contained by (by scenario): <example> akin to <

Here is a list of the elements that example could be contained by (by scenario):

<example> akin to <fig>:
<pd>
<conbody>

add @type="example" to <note>:
<equation-figure>, <pd>
<conbody>

<example> akin to <div>:
<equation-figure>, <pd>
<conbody>

<example> today:

I'm not seeing a lot of location differences between the proposed options. I'd still prefer to have <example> available in these locations, and prefer the actual element to adding a note @type.

The content model of example would remain the same as well.

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson

Content Technology Strategist, DS&A Information and Knowledge Services

Jeppesen, A Boeing Company
55 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112
303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934

/Users/scott.hudson/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Outlook/Data/Library/Caches/Signatures/signature_1631033601

http://www.jeppesen.com