Subject: RE: [dita] With multimedia coming, what happens to the object element?

Thanks Alan.

About this:
> I experienced whiplash when I learned that the review target was DITA 2.0, not the DITA 1.3 multimedia domain that we had long planned. But if 2.0 is the target, ...

The original goal for this markup was definitely a DITA 1.3 compatible domain that would 1) be usable by LwDITA, and 2) carry forward more or less unchanged into DITA 2.0. LwDITA was the driver behind that -- having a 1.3 compatible domain is of course a nice thing to have, but the domain design was driven by the desire to have a LwDITA that is compatible with DITA 1.3 and (ideally) DITA 2.0.

If we make them base elements, then it's of course still possible to write a DITA 1.3 domain using the current model, but audio/video content marked up using that domain would need to be migrated before it could become DITA 2.0.

All of this is why I was a little hesitant to raise the idea...
Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Alan Houser ---08/02/2019 05:50:14 PM---Thanks, Robert ... good observations and comments. I experienAlan Houser ---08/02/2019 05:50:14 PM---Thanks, Robert ... good observations and comments. I experienced whiplash when I learned that the re