Subject: Re: [dita] Incompatible specification language for the lines element

Note that the behavior assigned to "lines" appears to correspond to the CSS whitespace value "pre-line":

pre-line
    This value directs user agents to collapse sequences of white space. Lines are broken at preserved newline characters, and as necessary to fill line boxes.

The "as necessary to fill line boxes" suggests that lines can be broken to prevent overflow, but that's not necessarily inconsistent with the semantic of <lines>.

Might be more appropriate to remove the @xml:space attribute and then define the intended behavior in terms of the CSS whitespace "pre-line" value, if we want to keep the current definition.

On the other hand, the current definition of <lines> would preclude setting E. E. Cummings poetry using only whitespace for indention:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47244/buffalo-bill-s

http://contrext.com