Subject: Re: [dita] Questions regarding âthings you pressâ

From a hardware perspective, we often need to identify the control and the setting. For example:
Shift From Low Blower To High Blower:
1. Mixture control "FULL RICH"
2. Reduce manifold pressure. (Reduce throttles sufficiently to prevent the surge in manifold pressure exceeding the prescribed power setting when the shift is made.)
3. Set rpm at 1700.
4. Shift the controls rapidly and evenly from "LOW" to "HIGH," and lock. Make this a quick, positive action.
5. Reset the desired power setting.
NOTE: Never operate in "HIGH" blower below 1500 rpm. During prolonged operation in "HIGH" blower, change to "LOW" blower for 15 minutes every 2 hours, (This removes sludge from the clutch.)

This is from the B-25 sample project (https://github.com/DITAWriter/pilot_training_mitchell_bomber/blob/master/topics/operating_instructions_for_the_supercharger.dita ), but illustrates the idea.

You can also see how we've had to adjust the markup to best fit existing DITA. The gaps are in identifying the control. Option or userinput are OK for the values, but still not ideal.

In some of our software development content, we have a similar gap between parameter and value.

Thanks and best regards,

--Scott

Scott Hudson
Content Technology Strategist, DS&A Information and Knowledge Services
Jeppesen, A Boeing Company
55 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112
303-328-6228 | Cell: 303-350-7934