Subject: Concerns about issue #29 "Bookmap updates"

I have some concerns about the technical requirements for issue #29 "Bookmap updates".

The TC approved the stage two proposal on 19 February 2019; I've taken over completing the stage three proposal from Eric Sirois, who is no longer a voting member. (Eric, we'd love to have you back when your schedule will let you attend TC meetings!)

The technical requirements, as listed in the stage two proposal, create hard dependencies between the bookmap module and the following domains:

  • DITAVALref domain
  • Glossary reference domain
  • Whatever domain includes the new <mapresource> element (New domain? Map group domain?)

These dependencies are not something that the TC discussed, and until this point, the TC has not created document-type shells that have hard dependencies on domain modules. By a hard dependency, I mean that a document-type shell that DOES NOT contain these domains will be broken.

We need to talk about this. Is this what we wanted to do? Are there other ways to meet the user requirements without creating hard dependencies between the bookmap module and the various domains?

I checked the DITA 1.3 bookmap shells that I have created for clients, and many of them DO NOT contain the DITAVALref and glossary reference domain

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)