Subject: Re: [dita] Issue #29: How best to handle <mapresources>? Feedback wanted.

If we go down the path of adding <mapresources> to the map group domain,
do we want to consider constraining map to restrict where <mapresources>
is allowed?

There are entirely logical arguments for the beginning, the end, and (in the case of something large and horrid) per-chapter.  I don't think constraining location is of net benefit.

I would not want to see <mapresources> excluded from map; sometimes the bookmap is the top level grouping of three or four levels of component maps, and the larger component maps, the children and grandchilden of the bookmap, can easily need their own definitions.

Graydon Saunders | Publishing Solutions Developer | Precision Content
Email: graydon@precisioncontent.com | www.precisioncontent.com

Unlock the Knowledge in Your Enterpriseâ

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify us by return email if you have received this email in error. Â2019, Precision Content Authoring Solutions Inc, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Sent: 03 October 2019 11:23
To: DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

I certainly agree that <mapresources> is semantically more precise. I
personally like it and would use it, but want to make sure that we
consider the impact of adding another element that will be available
everywhere that <topicref> is.

I posted on dita-users asking for feedback about <mapresources>, and got
the following response from Radu Coravu:

------------------------

"I clearly see the benefit for [<mapresources>] in a bookmap, as now we
need to place
all those key definitions in the frontmatter.

But maybe for a plain DITA <map> [<mapresources>] might not make that
much sense, it
would increase the complexity of the choices you need to make when you
want to add a new element on the first level of the DITA Map.

So somehow I would see the place of this element only directly after the
bookmap <topicmeta> element, so maybe avoid allowing it in any place
where a topicref is allowed.

If we go down the path of adding <mapresources> to the map group domain,
do we want to consider constraining map to restrict where <mapresources>
is allowed?

www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)