Subject: Re: [dita] Starting thoughts on a migration document

I can see a couple of ways to approach it and I'm honestly not sure which is best. Maybe both are appropriate, but for different audiences.

Approaching things in sequence as individual items is most useful as a "this is what changed" informative doc. "This changed; you need to update X to Y; here are ways to do it."

But if I'm either 1) writing a tool to automate this, or 2) updating my own content in the absence of a tool, I would hope for some combination of:

- A simple list of all the things to update with search/replace in your content
- Another list of things that require manual cleanup in source (look for this, and fix it based on your conditions)
- Any updates to source files that won't fit into those categories? Not sure offhand what that would be
- Simple list of what needs to be updated in grammar files with search/replace (like updates to class attributes)
- Another list of manual fixes in grammar files

I don't know what others would want though. That sort of organization is really better for someone who either already knows what is changing, or doesn't care why things are changing - just wants the list of things to fix.

But thinking on that more -- that almost sounds like an appendix to the document you've described. Full migration doc does what you originally suggested, then a "Here are the changes" summary that conref's in the critical bits?

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Zoe Lawson ---10/15/2019 09:22:59 AM---I have thoughts on a very (very) rough outline of a migration Zoe Lawson ---10/15/2019 09:22:59 AM---I have thoughts on a very (very) rough outline of a migration document for DITA 2.0. * Overview