Subject: RE: [dita] Question about include element and existing specializations

For me -- 100% all in favor of simplifying the key text resolution rules, even if I expect that it may end up a little bit more complex than hoped.

The one thing most likely to complicate things is that quite a lot of people today seem to use a lot of nesting to create <keyword> for their variable text. I'm not sure if this should still be allowed, or if this should be migrated to keytext:
<keydef keys="example">
<topicmeta>
<keywords>
<keyword>Reusable text</keyword>
</keywords>
</topicmeta>
</keydef>

I've also seen that where <keywords> is further nested inside of <metadata>, a legacy of early DITA versions that required the extra container.

There's no doubt that using <keytext> would be simpler, but the migration might be complicated by cases that really do want to retain the keyword. I suppose that could be another case like you raised on the call, where the safest migration could just create two copies and leave any cleanup for later:
<keydef keys="example">
<topicmeta>
<keytext>Reusable text</keytext>
<keywords>
<keyword>Reusable text</keyword>
</keywords>
</topicmeta>
</keydef>

Robert D. Anderson
DITA-OT lead and Co-editor DITA 1.3 specification
Marketing Services Center

E-mail: robander@us.ibm.com

11501 BURNET RD,, TX, 78758-3400, AUSTIN, USA
IBM

Inactive hide details for Chris Nitchie ---12/05/2019 04:58:24 PM---Thanks, Robert. Another question. Currently, the rules for Chris Nitchie ---12/05/2019 04:58:24 PM---Thanks, Robert. Another question. Currently, the rules for determining where to pull effective text