OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 17 December 2019 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Dawn; write back to Pierre with our response wrt stepsection.
2. Gershon will look into where in troubleshooting topic we might want to add draft-comment, if there are any.
3. Kris will respond to Ozana's post, including adding draft-comment to refbody and other items.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 17 December 2019
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Marian Knebel


1. Roll call
Regrets: Chris Nitchie, Scott Hudson, Carsten Brennecke, Zoe Lawson

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
10 December 2019
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00048.html (Harrison, 16 December 2019)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Bill, approved by TC

3. Announcements:
[this is last TC meeting in 2019, next meeting 7 Jan 2020]

4. Action items
[completed items only; see agenda for complete list]
19 November 2019
Kris: Request OASIS to deactivate the Learning and Training subcommittee (COMPLETED)
03 December 2019
Kris: Provide info to Zoe about content in SVN (COMPLETED)
10 December 2019
Robert: Create project card for fixing change-historylist (COMPLETED)
Robert: Fix change-historylist grammar files in github branch for hot fixes (COMPLETED)

5. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
#217: Remove most uses of domains attribute
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00032.html (Anderson, 10 December 2019)
moved by Robert, 2nd by Bill
Voting results:
yes votes 10 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens)
no votes 0

6. Attempt to boil down the and proposal discussion
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00034.html (Nitchie, 10 December 2019)
[hold till Chris is on call]

7. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Initial discussion
Early feedback
#16 titlealts improvements
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00022.html (Nitchie, 06 December 2019)
[hold till Chris is on call]

8. Feedback on dita-comment
a. stepsection useless
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00000.html (Pierre Attar, 05 December 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00001.html (Michael Priestley, 05 December 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00002.html (Pierre Attar, 06 December 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00003.html (David Artman, 06 December 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00004.html (Bob Thomas, 06 December 2019)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00005.html (Pierre Attar, 06 December 2019)
- Kris; official policy is that dita-comment is for official communication between users and TC. we respond to every mail, and discuss in TC. This mail really belongs on dita-users...
- Robert; he's trying to use stepsection for something it's not meant for; it was originally added as lead-in text for a group of steps.
- Dawn; but what he's trying to do, I've done for clients with stepsection, to insert an image to go side-by-side with a group of steps.
- Nancy; isn't that somewhat close to its purpose; content that goes with a bunch of steps?
- Dawn; yes, but we were using it more for a kind of formatting, so not really.
- Gershon; I've had clients want to do that; I've talked them into using separate tasks, as Michael suggested.
- Robert; and for folks who won't do that, that's why we have steps-informal.
- Gershon; so we could offer those 2 options, Dawn's and Robert's...
- Robert; at least if he doesn't want to take Michael's more appropriate suggestion to use multiple tasks.
- Kris; so we have useful feedback/suggestions to offer, including tasks. plus more explanation of what it was originally meant for. His last mail does include his context, and it's something like Dawn's context.
- Dawn; I can reply to him.
- Kris; thanks, and please include the fact that we discussed it in TC, so that it will constitute our official response. I did post to him afterwards clarifying real purpose of this list, and suggesting that in the future he use dita-users for this kind of thing.
***ActionItem: Dawn; write back to Pierre with our response.

b. DITA feedback
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita-comment/201912/msg00010.html (Ozana Dragomir, 13 December 2019)
- Kris; her first item is on draft-comment; in 1.3 we talked about adding draft-comment to more places; are these ones we missed? Any thoughts?
- Deb; I remember the discussion, but not the resulting decision.
- Kris; we may have to troll thru minutes to find it.
- Nancy; I can't see why we wouldn't put it in those locations.
- Kris; well, task is a very controlled content model.
- Gershon; let's see if it would be useful in all of her suggested places.
- Robert; in task, there is a strict order, so putting it directly into taskbody would be very problematical. We could put it in either at the beginning or the end, but it would still raise questions.
- Gershon; I'd rather not dirty up the markup, then.
- Dawn; what Robert says makes sense to me. We might put it at the beginning, but I can't see why it would be at the end.
- Marian Knebel (Parsons); I know of one client who did that.
- Kris; [thanks for joining, Marian] I've wrapped shortdesc in abstract and put a draft-comment in there, so I'd have a comment for a task as a whole.
- Gershon; I prefer that method to adding draft-comment to task, though I do buy Dawn's use case.
- Kris; unless someone's onstrained draft-comment out of abstract, that makes the most sense to me. So is the sense of the TC that we should add draft-comment into refbody? Only question is, if we consider specializations, do we need to consider troubleshooting as well?
- Gershon; that's also a very tight task model, oculd they use abstract for that as well?
- Kris; can someone look at troubleshooting content model, and see where draft-comment is allowed, and see if there are other places where we might want to add it?
- Gershon; I can do that.
***ActionItem: Gershon will look into where in troubleshooting topic we might want to add draft-comment, if there are any.
- Kris; we'll keep this an open item and track it. I'm leaning towards adding draft-comment to refbody as bug fix.
- Gershon; I agree with that.
- Kris; her next point is
; I'm not sure i understand her point. you can't put in reference topic, but that's by design.
- Gershon, I also agree with that position.
- Kris; we'll need to ask for clarification.
- Kris; her next point is .
- Dawn; I don't know why you'd want what she's asking for.
- Kris; There are 2 uses of fn. if you're not using the one that requires specific placement, but using the general one, I could imagine why she might want it.
- [discussion of why one would want to put an fn in a body wlwmwnt or any of its specializations; Robert says body doesn't allow it either. but you can always put it in something inside a body/conbody/etc.]
- Kris; these are bothersome to her, but I'm not hearing any real use cases for changes we'd want to make.
- Stan; this might be a conversion issue; from something completely unstructured, and an automated migration process is bumping into DITA content models.
- Deb; when I move unstructured content, especially to a reference topic, it forces me to use a section, so that's taken care of.
- Kris; let's move on to her question on mathML. Who has clients who use mathML?
- [Carlos, Robert, Marian, Dawn]
- Kris; she has long wide images that have to be formatted as images to fit on page, and none of the equation elements include @scale.
- Gershon; I understand her query, and her problem, and I can understand her issue, and potentially that there might be a use case that required @scale.
- Dawn; none of my clients have such wide images.
- Carlos; I'm trying to see if Markdown has something similar.
- Gershon; this is probably wrt PDF publishing; if it's online, you can always scroll left/right.
- Robert; if someone's run into this, we haven't run into it at IBM; and none of the elements are based on an element that has the @s she wants, they're based on either foreign or ??, so it wouldn't be easy to add.
- Kris; so, is there enough of a use case for it to add the functionality?
- Gershon; in SVG, the stylesheet can automatically resize the image.
- Nancy; I've done that, too.
- Kris; so this is maybe someone who is dealing with migrating content. Do we have @outputclass on foreign?
- Robert; should be.
- Kris; I'll do initial response.
***ActionItem: Kris will respond to Ozana's post, including adding draft-comment to refbody and other items.

9. PDF stylesheets
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00044.html (Eberlein, 15 December 2019)
- Kris; we have a PDF plugin, it's the org.oasis-open.pdf plug-in, available at https://github.com/oasis-open/dita-stylesheets. You can use it for an OASIS spec, an OASIS CN, or a generic OASIS DITA PDF, which I've been using for proposals. We would always welcome help with stylesheets, there's list on backlog page (at https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/stylesheetBacklog) of things to be done.
- Stan; we're going to be using the the PDF plugin for Adoption TC papers.
- Kris; if Adoption TC is publishing, it would be good for you to be using our stylesheets, so that's great.

10. Spec work completed
- Robert; a lot of cleanup in last couple of weeks; I did a lot of cleaning up grammar files, including meeting with Kris to discuss how they should look. We want them to be consistent across base and techcomm, so I went thru techcomm files and made sure all changes to base were also in techcomm. I also updated files to integrate all the work that's been done recently. With today's vote on @domains, I'll be cleaning up more files...
- Kris; I also went through and did a spell-check, found bloopers that had been there since 1.0. It took the better part of a day; I've now spell-checked everything in base [yay!], but not in techcomm.
As we do techcomm spec - will need volunteers - we'll have to spell check that as well. I also added changes for bookmap.
- Robert; I also updated Travis stuff again; we have a set of Travis test files that run every time you check in a file. I fixed some catalog files that had errors the latest Travis run brought up.
- Kris; in editorial work completed, there had been a gap between August and December, but we got a lot done this month.

11. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines

Stage two
(Evia) Column/row spanning in simpletable (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/292)
22 October 2019 05 November 2019 15 November 2019 10 December 2019: Submit to reviewers (Anderson, Kimber)
- Carlos; I sent it out to Robert; he approved.
- Kris; when we can do the initial disussion?
- Carlos; it's ready now.
- Robert; if you've made the changes I asked for in my review, then you need to rebuild the proposal.
- Kris; you need to rebuild and notify TC, with a link to PDF, in order to get it on agenda.

Stage three
(Schengili-Roberts) Strong and em elements (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/107)
/! Due mid-November to reviewers (Doherty, Evia)
- Kris; do you have an ETA for this?
- Keith; I can work on it over holiday; so, end January 2020
- Kris; so last TC mtg in January, which is 1/28?
- Keith; yes.

- Keith; I have a proposal for fastpath as well; I can have that ready at the same time.

12. Approved DITA 2.0 proposals
Working draft #06
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/201912/msg00004.html (Eberlein, 02 December 2019)
- Kris; I'll be posting a new draft (#07) later today.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 17 December 2019

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2019-12-18 21:30:21

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]