OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 16 June 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Robert will look at Scott's work on #297 (allow example in more places).
2. Robert will look for that pull req on example as well
3. Kris will update 2.0 proposal deadlines wiki page

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 16 June 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegman


1. Roll call
Regrets: Eliot Kimber

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
09 June 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00007.html (Harrison, 09 June 2020)
moved by Kris, 2nd by Dawn, approved by TC with correction by Frank

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
17 February 2020
Kris: Set up call with Alan Houser, Frank Wegmann, and Nancy Harrison to go over DITAweb admin
- Kris; this is in progress
09 June 2020
Kris: Send feedback to Zoe about stage 2 hardware control domain proposal
- Kris; also in process

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time?
[general discussion, not official business]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines

- Scott; I sent updates to #297 (allow example in more places) documentation, but I wasn't able to check the contents in.
- Robert; I'm still working on that.
***ActionItem: Robert will look at Scott's work on #297 (allow example in more places).
- Carlos; I also added work to example element content, since it's LwD-related, but it hasn't been checked in either.
- Kris; so this is a pull request to the DITA repository?
- Robert; I hadn't seen any notification about it, but I see that it's there; I'll heck it in.
***ActionItem: Robert will look for that pull req on example as well
- Zoe; SVN is now up to date for my stuff.

Stage two
(Zoe et al) Hardware control domain (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/257)
Research being done waiting on feedback from Kris
- Zoe; I'm just starting stage 3 stuff
- Kris; if you need help with grammar files, for which testing requires having a dita 2..0 env up and running, let us know.
- Zoe; some of it is a bit much

(Eberlein) New element for key text (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/345)
28 April 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Chris, Carsten)
- Kris; no progress yet, but I'll be working on it this week.

(Stevens) New diagnostic element for troubleshooting (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/316)
28 April 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Hudson, Harrison)
- Dawn; I now have both Nancy's and Scott' reviews, so I'll start addressing their comments.
- Kris; main thing is after you address comments, update the sources in SVN, and send updated proposal to TC for review, with a message saying sources are in SVN.

***ActionItem: Kris will update this wiki page

7. People's experience readying content for DITA 2.0
Who has done this?
What worked and what didn't? Any surprises?
- Kris; any one have input on this?
- Dawn; we haven't yet updated old content to help them do that; OTOH, in trainings, we're prepping people for 2.0 (e.g., now you do this, but in 2.0 you'll do that...). We haven;t specifically helped with plana for that. but when we set up models, we may sure to give 2.0-appropriate advice, e.g., you could use @navtitle, but DON'T, use navtitle element instead.
- Kris; thx, that's helpful.
- Zoe; I'm still trying to get my compeany to using DITA, period.
- Deb; we did get rid of @navtitle in our CCMS, so it uses navtitle element instead...
- Kris; I went thru the process of scrubbing client content so it was ready for 2.0. I did a lot of checking via schematron, but handling alttext in images was a lot more work than I expected. In particular, moving text was a bear to move to an alt element, because there were so many variations in the coding, line breaks, etc, a messy business.
- Zoe; were you playing with re-factoring?
- Kris; should it be easy that way?
- Zoe; I don't know for sure - I haven't done it - but it seems as if it should be...
- Kris; I was trying to do it in a tool-agnostic way, since not all users will have Oxygen, so I was trying to see if I could do it without it. I'll have to try it with Oxygen refactoring.
- Zoe; another possible way is to use XSLT?
- Kris; or maybe not... I'm surprised so few others have done this. Also, Zoe, we might need to get some help on that white paper.
- Gershon; isn't this something the Adoption TC could help with?
- Kris; no. it's too technical; it needs to stay here in the TC.
- Dawn; I'm not surprised people aren't ready for 2.0, it's like pulling teeth to get clients to upgrade to any release. They're always waiting for full tool support, etc. Most of mine are expecting not to go to 2.0 for another couple of years
- Gershon; for my clients, they're all waiting for vendors; plus they're finding 1.3 very satisfactory.
- Kris; what about being able to add a specialized attribute:?
- Robert; and one thing that gets mentioned is the new multi-media stuff.
- Zoe; the main reason I'd like to think about migration now is that it just takes time, seems better to slowly putter around, assuming that tools support it. I think it will be more problematic years from now, when vendors are no longer supporting old DITA versions.
- Robert; you can't really can't plan now, because there's no 2.0 now. But as I put content in DITA, I'm always trying to make it compatible w/2.0
- Kris; I've done as much 2.0 prep as possible with all my clients in the last couple of years, because otherwise their content will be backwards incompatible. I think it's far better to do that prep now than have problems with content later. This becomes a point of education about 2.0 that folks don't understand; for 2.0 there will be an additional barrier to migrating, and they need to understand that.
- Dawn; anyone I help with DITA now, I help them with that, but some things they need aren't in 1.3, so they will have to deal with that.
- Kris; it's more a question of 'what kind of cleanup are people doing on legacy content'?
- Dawn; we're doing a lot of stylesheet work, expecially moving to new versions of toolkit, and flagging things they'll need to take care of down the line.

8. Conves conference update
- Zoe; when is deadline for submitting final presentations?
- Dawn; we'll be recording in August, so end of July is deadline
- Zoe; I thought we might need a draft by end of this month...
- Dawn; that might have been the case earlier, but no longer.
- Kris; what's new?
- Dawn; there's now an active call for speakers open; we want to make sure European timezones folks have a chance to participate, since this is taking the place of DITA Europe, but it's also open for any of you, if yuo have a topic in mind. Please check out call for papers, we'll be expanding talks available. Everyone has been moved who can do it; the website is now up. Also, note that Lavacon is just 5 weeks later, where it's usually 6 months later. For last week, I've been concentrating on our exhibitors, not so much on speaker schedules. People who registered before get opportunity to bring extra person from their companies; we're expecting really good attendance, but our experience with online events is that people wait till last second to register, so we won't know till last minute.
- Zoe; will there be a session on 'how can you start prepping for 2.0 now'?
- Dawn; I'm hoping we would discuss it as part of the 2.0 panels I talked about last week; 'what are compelling reasons for going?' 'what should you do beforehand?'
- Kris; this would be a good tiem for us to publicize the fact that the call for speakers has been re-opened.
- Frank; I've already started to spread the word.
- Kris; we should try to help Dawn and Comtech as much as possible. it's been hosting the primary DITA conferences for at least 15 years.
- Dawn; the call for speaker is at https://convex.infomanagementcenter.com/2020-call-for-speakers
- Dawn; also, we could have a little zoom room for TC

9. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals - no updates

10. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals - no updates

11. Spec work completed
[no updates]

12. Approved DITA 2.0 proposals
Working draft #09
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00011.html (Eberlein, 16 June 2019)
Tally of approved proposals now included in first topic of PDF
- Kris; uploaded a new versions of the amalgamated PDF, adds stage 3 proposal for strong/em. so we've made progress.

11:53 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 16 June 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2020-06-16 14:13:29

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]