OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 30 June 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems: None

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 23 June 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Scott Hudson, Jim Tivy


1. Roll call
Regrets: Gershon Joseph, Stan Doherty

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
23 June 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00020.html (Harrison, 23 June 2020)
moved by Kris, 2nd Keith, approved by TC

3. Announcements
Carlos has received an award from Virginia Tech; that's why he's not on call.

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
04 February 2020
Kris: Determine where we track work for making draft-comment available in more places COMPLETED
23 June 2020:
Kris: E-mail Chris about status of proposal #15 (specialization rules) COMPLETED
Kris and Robert: Help Zoe with Oxygen set up for testing DITA 2.0 grammar files COMPLETED
Kris: Help Zoe with paragraph for stage 2 hardware domain proposal re constraints COMPLETED

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[general discussion; no official business]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
Stage two
(Lawson) Hardware domain (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/257)
(./) 19 May 2020: Early feedback from TC
(./) 23 June 2020: Initial discussion by TC
(./) 30 June 2020: TC vote
[vote today; see agenda item 7a]

(Eberlein) New multimedia elements for base (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/351)
(./) 21 April 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Carlos, Chris)
(./) 28 June 2020: Proposal with more technical details to reviewers (Carlos, Chris, Robert)
(./) 30 June 2020: Request for early feedback
07 July 2020: Initial discussion by TC
14 July 2020: TC vote
[discussion today; see agenda item #7c]

(Eberlein) New element for key text (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/345)
?: Proposal to reviewers (Chris, Carsten)
?: Initial TC discussion
?: TC vote
- Kris; will try to have proposal to reviewr by Monday

(Stevens) New diagnostic element for troubleshooting (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/316)
28 April 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Hudson, Harrison, Eberlein)
30 June 2020: Initial discussion by TC
07 July 2020: TC vote
[discussion today; see agenda item #7b]

(Kimber) Deprecate or remove copy-to attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/33)
(./) Due 05 October 2019
(./) 08 October 2019: Initial discussion by TC
- Eliot; probably August 2020: Revised version to TC

Stage three
(Nitchie) Loosen attribute specialization rules (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/15)
26 May 2020: Early feedback from TC
? 2020: Submit to reviewers
? 2020: Initial TC discussion
? 2020: Vote by TC
- Kris; any guess?
- Chris; sent out something last night; optimistically this weekend, likely 2 weeks to submit to reviewers.

(Lawson) Remove machinery task and task requirements domain (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/350)
? 2020: Submit to reviewers
? 2020: Initial TC discussion
? 2020: Vote by TC
- Zoe; did swag 'submit to reviewers' can do real this weekend,
- Kris; looking for reviewers
[Dawn and Eliot will review]

7. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
a. Vote
Issue #257 Add hardware domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00031.html(Lawson, 30 June 2020)
Zoe moved, 2nd by Deb
Voting results
yes votes: 12 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann)
no votes 0
- Kris; reviewers for stage 3?
[Deb and Carsten will review]

b. Initial discussion
Issue #316 Add diagnostics element to troubleshooting topic
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00037.html (Eberlein, 30 June 2020)
- Dawn; this is for orgs where a troubleshooting problem has many causes and many remedies. In order to figure out what to do, they need a diagnosis; so we want to add a diagnostics section; it can have various structures, so element can have 2 subselements, general and steps
- Eliot; a tech detail; diagnostics is specialized from section, but section is not allowed within bodydiv.
- Robert; not so, bodydiv allows section.
- Eliot; I just looked at grammar files
- Kris; it mirrors pattern of troublesolution, which has cause and remedy
- Dawn; right, I wanted this to mirror troublesolution.
- Kris; I've done stage 3 grammar work, and it does work in both DTD and RNG.
- Eliot; OK
- Deb; I love the format for the template; makes it really easy to follow
- Kris; anything specific?
- Deb; I like the order, with the backwards compatibility, then examples, nice flow to follow along
- Kris; thx and thx to Robert, who made most of the changes for 1.3.

c. Early feedback
Issue #351: Add multimedia elements to base
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00026.html (Eberlein, 29 June 2020)
- Kris; I had Chris's great proposal for 1.3, but because of our schedules, we wanted to have multimedia domain as part of base for 2.0. My email has quick summary; here's the 1.3 proposal, and here's where things go in 2.0 base. We're adding 4 elements to base, everything else is @s on audio and video. I'd like a reality check from Chris; is this in alignment with your original work?
- Chris; haven't had a chance to dive into this but I will.
- Kris; good, since you're a reviewer
- Chris; precedence on object for something keyref; I think a poster keyref @ would be good.
- Kris; so we'll just add a @posterkeyref to poster; so just adding one @ on video, to enable keyref'ing on poster. Also, Robert, are we overloading type?
- Robert; if we're using @type, we're overloading it...
- Kris; can you look and see if you're comfortable with it, though?
- Nancy; shall we just call it mimetype instead?
- Chris; we could, but that breaks consistency with HTML5.
- Eliot; I'm not so concerned with type proliferation.
- Frank; what's the difference between @href in media-source and @href in media-track?
- Chris; it's a carryover from HTML5; there are cases where a single video is in multiple formats, so HTML5 allows you to pick your source, depending on your renderer.
- Frank; is one format preferred over others, or is it up to user agent?
- Chris; I don't remember about precedence of those, if it says anything. We should stay in alignment with it, since the primary purpose for this is to enable HTML versions of this.
- Kris; that's an excellent point; I'll make sure that's covered by stage 3 proposal. I'll look to reviewers for support in tightening it up. I've done first draft of stage 3 prop., and sent it out to reviewers with stage 2... Any addt'l feedback? otherwise, will have it for formal discussion, once its reviewered by reviewers.

8. Deadline for DITA 2.0 work to be completed
Originally set up for end of June 2020, but coronovirus happened
- Kris; originally we had June for this, I think it might now be the end of August.

9. DITA 2.0 stage one proposals
Separate domain for syntax diagrams
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00038.html (Anderson, 30 June 2020)
- Robert; I've talked about this, but never officially raised on list. We're trying to make techcomm more consistent and usable. Wrt the programming domain, it would be nice to split syntacdiagrams from that domain. Within that domain, there are 15 elements related to syntaxdiagram, and 14 can only be used inside syntaxdiagram itself. I did a lot of work with syntaxdiagrams back in IBM, you have to be an expert to use any of them. They're not commonly used, so I want to move them into a separate domain, to split markup out so people can remove that markup. The new programming domain will stay in OASIS shells, but people can remove them from their own shells. OTOH, there will be an incompatiblity; if you upgrade to 2.0, and want to retain this, have to specifically call the new domain.
- Eliot; I support this
[Deb, Nancy. & Zoe also support it]
[riff on how old syntaxdiagrams are]
- Kris; if we move this out, it will be easier for processors to claim full support for programming domain
- Frank; I'm all for this; we have a lot of syntax diagrams, but not in DITA.
- Kris; any objections?
- Kris; so what do we have as a deadline for completing all DITA 2.0 work?
- Frank; should we move to september?
- Chris; as time goes on, we will have a crush on reviewers time, and we only have an hour to discuss and vote on these.
- Kris; many of the proposals are moving along; keytext, deprecate/copy-to, attribute loosening...
- Nancy; if we're being realistic, we should move it to September.
- Chris; let's keep August as target for completing stage 3 proposals, understanding that some items may not have review completed by then.
- Robert; so the idea is to have the work and reviews done by end of August, with possible discussion/voting in Sept.
- Kris; I like that; at mimimum, every stage 3 proposal has to be written and reviewed by end of August, otherwise it doesn't go into 2.0. We will track thru July and August to get everything in.
- Kris; any objection to this syntaxdiagram proposal?
[none, moves to stage 2]

Kris; we'll have a new update for approved proposals, to include hardware domain; with luck next week I'll have a new schedule for 2.0, now that we've updated our targets.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 30 June 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2020-07-05 20:01:59

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]