OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 July 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Kris will add hardware domain to list of stage 3 proposals for tracking.
2. Robert will add 'Removing glossary stubs from 2.0 package' to bug fixes for 2.0 wiki page.
3. Kris will assign a number for the proposal 'Split syntaxdiagram from programming domain.'

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 7 July 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Scott Hudson, Jim Tivy


1. Roll call
Regrets: Frank Wegmann

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
30 June 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202007/msg00005.html (Harrison, 06 July 2020)
- need date change
moved by Kris, 2nd Zoe, approved by TC

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
[updated items only; see agenda for complete list]
16 June 2020:
Robert: Review Scott's work on example
Robert: Handle pull request from Carlos on example topic
- Robert; went thru Scott's update to example element for base and techcomc; I also handled the pull request for Carlos.

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[general discussion; no official business]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
[updated items only; see link for complete list]

Stage two
(Eberlein) New multimedia elements for base (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/351)
[see agenda item #8b for discussion]

(Stevens) New diagnostic element for troubleshooting (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/316)
[see agenda item #8a for vote]

(Anderson) Split syntaxdiagram from programming domain (X)
[see agenda item #8b for discussion]

Stage three
(Nitchie) Loosen attribute specialization rules (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/15)
26 May 2020: Early feedback from TC
05 July 2020: Early draft to reviewers (Anderson, Eberlein, Kimber)
- Kris; I'll get feedback to Chris quickly; Robert can you also
- Robert; yes

(Lawson) Remove machinery task and task requirements domain (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/350)
- Zoe; got proposal out to reviewers.
- Kris; date?
- Zoe; fri or sat?
- Zoe; had discussion with you about prop over weekend
***ActionItem; Kris will add hardware domain to list of stage 3 proposals for tracking

7. NEW ITEM: Removing glossary stubs from 2.0 package
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202007/msg00007.html (Anderson, 06 July 2020)
- Robert; dita 1.1, we created glosary topic, so had grammar faile for it, for glossary, event though root element is glossentry; inconsistent with naming patterns for everything else. until now, we couldn't remove them; at 1.3 stubs were created, just for consistency. But we will remove them now.
- Kris; I clearly missed that in prop for removing deprecated/obsolete files.
- Robert; not something will ever encounter, so easy to miss
- Kris; a good idea to track it on the wiki page for bug fixes for 2.0, so reflected in out migration
***ActionItem: Robert will add this to bug fixes for 2.0 wiki page

8. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
a. Vote
Issue #316 Add diagnostics element to troubleshooting topic
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00037.html (Eberlein, 30 June 2020)
Dawn made the motion, 2nd by Deb
Voting results:
yes votes: 14 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens)
no votes: 0
[stage 3 reviewers Eric & Nancy]

b. Initial discussion
Issue #351: Add multimedia elements to base
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00026.html (Eberlein, 29 June 2020)
- Kris; I made a few changes based on Chris's review instead of having poster-keyref, its poster keyref, so it's parallel with ? . Wrt impant on vendors & implementers, implementers will have to add it to keyref logic, any report that analyze data usage wil have to take note of these new elements. Another change is instead of using @type on mediatrack, we're using @kind, otherwise it would be inconsistent with HTML5. One question, we now use xml:lang on media-track in a somewhat different way from other targets; it's analogous to track elements on other elements in HTML5; instead of hijacking @track, using
- Gershon; I strongly disagree with using the same @ for different purposes...
- Chris; we didn't really have a choice; although, this being a new base element, we have a little more flexibility.
- Gershon; especially with xml:lang, which has a standard meaning everywhere.
- Kris; Robert, any comments on this?
- Robert; I'd just echo what Chris said; and I'm not sure we really give it a new meanng, so I'm ambivalent.
- Kris; that reasoning is similar to why I left it in, I'm not sure if it's really a new meaning, and not sure why we would want to use something different.
- Robert; if you link to a track, and say give a value of 'de', what else could xml:lang mean?
- Chris; xml:lang traditionally doesn't assert relationships between elements and attributes.
- Robert; then I'm ok; when you set xml:lang in a document, you're asserting what language your doc is in; when you set it on a link to another document, you're saying what language that other document is in.
- Kris; can we go with @lang as in HTML5, or should we use something else?
- Robert; HTML5 uses @lang and xml:lang almost interchangably.
- Gershon; the XML stack is messed up; using namespaced and non-namespaced @'s for same the thing, but we do try to abide by HTML5 as much as possible. Does HTML5 use xml:lang?
- Robert; HTML5 isn't XML, so they use both. in HTML5, the track element uses @srclang.
- Kris; so let's go with @srclang instead of xml:lang for language of media-track; I'll change that, with that change can we vote on this next week?
- Chris; there's also a @label on track.
- Robert; which is user-readable text, which we try to stay away from...
- Gershon; wouldn't it be like alttext on an image?
- Robert; sort of, except that it's not alternate; it's a label.
- Chris; we could also allow text inside media-track.
- Robert; that would be better than adding something else.
- Gershon; so we'd throw text inside, and use it only for label?
- Kris; maybe we need some time between now and next week to do a bit more work; we'll hold this proposal open for a week and try to resolve any open issues.

Issue #X: Split syntaxdiagram from programming domain
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202007/msg00002.html (Anderson, 01 July 2020)
***ActionItem: Kris will give a number for this proposal.
- Robert; idea is to turn programming domain (pr-d) into 2; pr-d and syntaxdiagram domain; syntaxdiagram makes up more than 1/2 of pr-d, but is very rarely used. Proposal does introduce potential backwards incompatibility - if you want syntaxdiagram, you have to add the new domain to shells. Also, it requires changes to processors; they have to change refs to pr-d with refs to pr-d and syntaxdiagram, but just a search-and-replace kind of change.
- Kris; any objections to voting next week?
[none; vote next week]

[no updates on Agenda items #9, #10, #11]

12. Approved DITA 2.0 proposals
Working draft #10
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202006/msg00044.html (Eberlein, 30 June 2019)
Tally of approved proposals now included in first topic of PDF
- Kris; I have an updated draft out; see link above

11:35 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 July 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2020-07-07 19:07:37

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]