Subject: Re: [dita] Deprecated item in grammar files - nbsp

Krisâs suggestion works for me. I agree we should get rid of it.

Gershon Joseph | Senior Information Architect | Precision Content
Direct: +972 (54) 658-3887| Email: gershon@precisioncontent.com | www.precisioncontent.com

emailSigLogo_png

Unlock the Knowledge in Your Enterpriseâ

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify us by return email if you have received this email in error. Â2020, Precision Content Authoring Solutions Inc, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

From: <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Robert Anderson <robert.dan.anderson@oracle.com>
Date: Friday, 28 August 2020 at 1:46
To: "dita@lists.oasis-open.org" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [dita] Deprecated item in grammar files - nbsp

I was reminded today that our DITA 1.0 grammar files defined one (and only one) HTML character entity, the NBSP:

https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/blob/DITA-2.0/doctypes/dtd/base/topic.mod#L88

As you can see following that link, there is a comment in the grammar file marking it deprecated. Iâm pretty sure that comment dates back to DITA 1.1 (I know itâs in the 1.2 files). The entity is only valid against the topic DTD, not the XSD or RNG.

Given that history, I think this should have been included in the proposal to remove deprecated items, but we just scanned the spec itself for that, and this entity is never mentioned in the spec. Unless there is a proposal to add it back, we should go ahead and clean this item up.

I just asked Kris about the best way to handle that sort of missed item, and she suggested amending the âremove deprecated itemsâ proposal to include this; we could also add in the item from a couple weeks back that removed a deprecated glossary.dtd shell.

Any comments or concerns?

Thanks â

Robert