Subject: Key resolution, key text, and local fallback

This comes out of Chris Nitchie's review of the stage three proposal for adding multimedia elements to the base.

Originally, the <audio> and <video> topics contained the following text in the description of the @keyref attribute. (I judged that the content should be handled in the architectural topics, not the element reference.):

"When specified and the key is resolvable, the key-provided URI is used. If the key referenced by @keyref cannot be resolved, and href is specified, that value provided by @href is used as a fallback. If the key referenced by @keyref has no associated resource, only link text, and the <audio> element does not contain a fallback element, the link text becomes fallback content."

Chris's review comment is as follows:

"The key resolution stuff is tricky. I'm not entirely convinced that the local fallback should take precedence over the key text. I think of <fallback> as content of last resort. When a referenced key contains text but no file, that's a pretty clear indication of authorial intent - the author wants the key text, regardless of the presence/absence of <fallback> on the referencing element. I agree with the draft comment that this is all language that should go in the arch spec, and probably not the language reference topic."

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)