Subject: Re: [dita] enumerationDef support for element text() values

All,

I can say that this is one of the most asked questions I field from my customers as well, especially as it relates to metadata â such as <category>. We sometimes might use a metadata_keys file to specify those values. So the key file is a giant prolog, with all the possible metadata element values and it is placed in all map templates. Then the topics or maps can reference those keys for the appropriate values, which can be similar to a pick list in some tools where you see the list of keys in the key file. I suppose you could enumerate the conkeyref, but that seems dangerous if you are using keys for other purposes.

Dawn

From: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Jim Tivy <jimt@bluestream.com>
Date: Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 10:57 AM
To: dita <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Folks

From time to time users of DITA will define elements where they wish to constrain the set of values possible to a "pick list".  This can be done today using enumerationdefs with subjectSchemes for attribute values but not for element text() values.  My question is, why was this enumertiondef mechanisms only implemented for attributes or attributes within an element and not element values as well.

It would seem reasonable that the use of enumerationdef be extended to support element values.

I could see use of this ranging from visible partNumbers to prolog change-item values to specialized element values.

<change-item product="productA productB">
      <change-person>Tom Cihak</change-person>
      <change-organization>JEDEC</change-organization>
      <change-completed>2013-03-23</change-completed>
      <change-summary>Made change 1 to both products</change-summary>
      <data>Details of change 1</data>
    </change-item>

Jim