OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 29 September 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 29 September 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann


1. Roll call
Regrets: none

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
08 September 2020
X (Lawson, X September 2020)
[holding till next week]
15 September 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202009/msg00045.html (Harrison, 29 September 2020)
moved by Kris, 2nd by deb, approved by TC

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
15 September 2020
Kris: Provide content to Zoe for 08 September 2020 minutes
- Zoe, shall I just post my notes?
- Kris; no, I have to give you some content for them, I'll do it today.
Kris: Revise stage 2 and 3 proposals for issue #315 "Add multimedia elments to base" In PROGRESS
Kris or Robert: Respond to Radu's e-mail on dita-comment; update source
- Robert; spec is coming along nicely, including other updates to get build process working better; it no longer depends on Antenna House.
- Kris; that's helpful; we will use Antenna House for final builds, but it's good to have other options.
- Stan; also thx to Robert for bailing us out on Adoption TC; his work will make it easier for us to publish our work as well..
- Kris; I also spent time on stylesheets, especially PDF output, wrt file refactoring and renaming; files that are common to all deliverables (base and profile specs, CNS, etc.) are now labeled 'common.' Robert and I did testing on his work. so we're farther ahead on stylesheets. Eventually we'll have one styleshhet plugin for everything, all deliverable types, all formats, should be much simpler for folks to use.
-Robert; before, there were 6 or 7 plugins, of whichonly 3 worked...

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official business conducted]

6. Report back from ConVEx
[general conversation was that ConVEx went very well, much more engaging than anticipated as a virtual conference, even the online 'social events' were good. Dawn & Co. put in a huge amount of work and it showed in the results, great keynote, great panels, including the DITA 2.0 that Kathy Madison moerated and Kris, Eliot, Robert, and Zoe were on. Dawn moderated Learning&Training panel.]
- Dawn; L&T panel went very well, and I heard a lot of talk about it.
- Kris; is there any potential for folks getting involved with OASIS and L&T SC?
- Dawn; there's a lot of interest, but no talk specificlly about joining OASIS; I'll follow up with folks who expressed interest.
- Kris; given our plan to make L&T available to work with 2.0 via an open-source Github repository, there will be the possibility for folks to work on L&T and not be OASIS members.
- Dawn; that's a good point, that might open the doors a bit.
- Kris; Stan had a wonderful session about ???
- Stan; I got some interest about it.
- Frank; are there statistics on how many folks there were in all the candid conversations?
- Dawn; we're working on it, there were a total of 380 different people attending all the sessions. average was 8/session, which made for good conversation, the highest was 27. The main stage panels were more popular, but I don't have those numbers yet; opening session had 576, out of 631 registrations; we've never had that many people before.
- Kris; she gave an outstanding keynote
- Frank; I checked with my colleagues who attended, and one was alone in a Candid conversation with the moderator; there were always enough at the talks, and lively discussion, though 45 minutes rather than longer might have been enough. if moderator had affinity with topic, that was great. but format for the conversations definitely worked.
- Kris; but it was hard for people to watch all the presentations before they actually went to the conversations; it would just hae taken too much time.
- Dawn; we're asking for more info about that.
- Zoe; I wish I could have watched more beforehand, but I couldn't manage it. So I might be getting back to people 4 months later.
- Robert; I thought it went well, I was amazed at how well it went.
- Scott; any new insights from attendees at 2.0 panel?
- Kris; we were taking questions from Kathy the moderator; anyone remember the questions?
- Robert; someone asked if any other meta element was coing away, wrt content linking in spec, and we said 'no'
- Kris; there was a question about co-existence of 1.x and 2.0 for tools.
- Zoe; also a question about expectations about conversions, will there be tools to make them easier? what will tools be responsible for? And one thing on the chat, that didn't get asked, about 'what's happening to copy-to?'?
- Kris; I was glad we didn't have to dive into that... There was also some concern on a slack channel about whether we had tool preferences, though I'm pretty sure none of us mentioned any specific tools.
- Robert; I was a bit thrown by that.
- Dawn; I wondered if it had to do with a discussion thread about whether an editor should be able to read a 1.3 doc and put it out in 2.0. George B. was on the thread, so oxygen got mentioned.
- Robert; Kathy mentioned Oxygen once but stepped it back.
- Kris; I think it's time for TC to have a webinar that's targeted to vendors. we didn't do that for 1.3, but we should do it now, so various vendors can think about it; I'm sure OASIS would be happy to sponsor and record for us, or we can do it with my zoom acct.
- Dawn; we at CIDM could also do that; we have contacts with all the vendors who come to our conferences.
- Kris; it would ideally be hosted by OASIS, but your contact info would be great.

7. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
[updates only; see link above for complete list]
Stage two
(Kimber) Deprecate or remove copy-to attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/33)
?: New proposal to reviewers (X)
- Kris; Eliot? we need new dates and reviewers.
- Eliot; meant to work on it this weekend and couldn't, but I'll have something by next Monday.
- Kris; who can review it?
[Eric, Dawn will review]

(Eberlein) New element for key text (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/345)
?: Proposal to reviewers (Chris, Carsten)
- Kris; no updates, hope to start this week.

(Anderson) Remove data-about element (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/372)
(./) 15 September 2020: stage 2 PDF sent to reviewers (Sirois, Brennecke, Kimber)
29 September 2020: Initial discussion by TC
?: TC vote
- Kris; is this ready for discussion today?
- Robert; yep

Stage three
(Stevens) New diagnostic element for troubleshooting (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/316)
(./) 02 September 2020: Proposal to reviewers (Sirois, Harrison)
(./) 03 September 2020: Feedback by reviewers completed
29 September 2020: Initial discussion by TC
?: TC vote
- Dawn; feedback from reviewers was light; hope to addres them today so we can have discussion next week.

8. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Issue #372 "Remove data-about
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202009/msg00041.html (Anderson, 25 September 2020)
- Robert; to summarize, we want to get rid of this because no one uses it and no one knows what its for. It's been reviewed by Eric, Eliot, & Carsten.
- Kris; any comments or questions?
- Kris moved, Zoe 2nd
Woting results:
yes votes 15 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann)
no votes 0

[Keith joined call at this point]

9. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
Issue #36 "remove previously deprecated / do-not-use items"
Kris moved, Scott 2nd
Woting results:
yes votes 16 (Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann)
no votes 0

10. enumerationDef support for element text() values
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202009/msg00029.html (Jim Tivy, 12 September 2020)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202009/msg00031.html (Stevens, 15 September 2020)
- Kris; Jim's question was why is enum for enumdev only for [see his email]
- Eliot; for one thing, if you allow that, you'd have to ensure that your grammar limits the element to only text content, it couldn't allow sub elements; that's the only reason I can think of.
- Chris; it also adds complexity to translation process.
- Nancy; in my recollection of the development, I think the translation issue that was a big part of why it works this way.
- Dawn; can't you set it up with @translate='no'?
- Robert; this was supposed to be portable, that would make that much more difficult. If you translated, you'd have to translate your subjectscheme as well, or you'd have build errors.
- Chris; there are grammar-based solutions; you can create a domain specialization of all your categories. It adjusts the complexity; as it is now, you don't have to know how to edit grammar files. If it were changed, that would be required to make it work.
- Kris; from point of view of complexity, I wouldn't support adding it to DITA as a standard.
- Nancy; I agree, we don't want to make translation more complicated.
- Frank, not just complicated, impossible...
- Kris; any other comments;

11:56 AM ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 29 September 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2020-09-29 13:40:11

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]