OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 17 November 2020 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Eliot will get copy-to proposal revised and out by end of week.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 17 November 2020
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Jim Tivy


1. Roll call
Regrets: Stan Doherty, Carlos Evia, Scott Hudson, Chris Nitchie

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
10 November 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00030.html (Harrison, 10 November 2020)
moved by Kris, 2nd Zoe, approved by TC

3. Announcements

4. Action items
[updates only, see agenda for complete list]
10 November 2010
Robert: Add @scope to elements with @href that lack it
- Robert; this is done

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official business discussed]

6. Completing all DITA 2.0 proposals in 2020
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00035.html (Eberlein, 15 November 2020)
- Kris; willing to take over championing props if necessary; want to finish this this year
- Robert; agree, covid blew up a bunch
- Kris; currently between 6-9 months behind origial schedule

7. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
[updates only; see above link for complate list]

Stage two
(Kimber) Deprecate or remove copy-to attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/33)
- Kris; where are you on this, Eliot? We recently substantially changed its direction wrt resource-id.
- Eliot; I'll get on it, there are now sufficient examples, so I should be able to get a revision out by end of week
***ActionItem: Eliot will get copy-to proposal revised and out by end of week.

(Eberlein) New element for key text (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/345)
[initial discussion today; see agenda item #8]

Stage three
(Nitchie) Loosen attribute specialization rules (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/15)
- Kris; a lot of remaing work on this is id'ing places where things need to be changed; if there's anyone willing to help, that would be great.

(Nitchie) Add title alts to map (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/16)
- Kris; I got mail from Chris on this proposal; he's working on it, and hopes it will be ready for reviewers soon.

8. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Initial discussion
#345 "New element for resolving variable text"
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00028.html (Eberlein, 10 November 2020)
- Kris; just to summarize what's changed since our last discusion of this proposal.
1. we ensured that data element is part of content model in section of proposal that lists content models; it's also helpful to remember that content models include not only contained elements, but elements specialized from them.
2. noted that users should be able to put keytext anywhere they need; that's enabled by including ph, which can contain it.
3. content of abbreviated-form will be moved to rendering section of language reference topic; and will use 2.0 rules for rendering content. Also, we'll now add abbreviated-form topic to list of topics to be modified.
4. in the last example, keytext is now placed before navtitle.
- Kris; I think it's had all the attention that it needs.
- Robert; I'm pleased with it; it makes it simpler to handle keys.
- Zoe; I agree.
- Kris; everyone, reviewers and TC, did great job with feedback. Any comments or concerns?
[no objections, vote next week]

9. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
[no updates]

10. Direct Links In a CCMS environment
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00023.html (Jim Tivy, 09 November 2020)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00026.html (Kimber, 10 November 2020)
NEW https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00038.html (Jim Tivy, 15 November 2020)
NEW https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202011/msg00039.html (Eberlein, 17 November 2020)
- Jim; My latest email had 3 basic points:
1. we could use a customization, but would have to assume there's an external lookup,
2. in the case where same topicref has multiple uses, where you copy a map, you would require keys and keyscopes to differentiate between 2 branches, so a key proposal for copy-to makes sense.
3. wrt resource-id; if you have a problem because of having the same topicref, you can't apply a resource-id; so if resource-id had a keyref, you could use keyscopes and assign a diff id for a ropicref.
- Robert; the 3rd one confuses me; resource-id is not a referencing element, and that turns it into one; its a way to give the id for an element, turns it into something that references something.
- Jim; it's just a way to refer to a value, would have to work out other side of this.
- Kris; but that seems orthogonal to the purpose of resource-id.
- Jim; purpose of keyword is to put a value somewhere; the fact that you can pull that value from somewhere else, just means a way to get the value from somewhere else.
- Kris; but I don't agree that that's the purpose of keyword.
- Eliot; a keyword with a reference defines the keyword; a keyword that points to something via a keyref is a value; it says 'I am a hyperlink, not a definition.' And what you want to do, you could do now with a conkeyref, so I don't see a practical value in doing it with keys.
- Jim; I can't define a different resource-id even though it's a different use.
- Eliot; so don't use resource-id in that case; or use a conkeyref on the resource-id. We have scoping to solve this exact problem; if you concatenate keyname with scope name, since you can use conkeyref on resource-id, you can solve that problem so that the rendered effect takes into account both resource-id and some scoping mechanism.
- Jim; so conkeyref is one answer.
- Robert; the goal of this proposal is to replace copy-to. What you want can't be fixed via copy-to, so I don't think a new definition of copy-to has to fix an existing limitation. That would be a new feature.
- Jim; I'll leave it up to you guys to how to implemented.
- Eliot; the reason its not addressed is that it's not something this proposal needs to address.
- Jim; just pointing out the issue
- Kris; so Eliot, it's entirely up to you if you want to include any extra examples that illustrate the issue; at this point we definitely don't want to expand the scope of the proposal.
- Eliot; I think Jim's point is there's a potential issue if the same resource-id appears multiple times in a map, and I might want to say something about that in my revision; so I'll consider that.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 17 November 2020

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2020-11-17 09:13:16

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]