Subject: Information from Chet Ensign about TC charters

FYI

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
www.eberleinconsulting.com
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 10:25 AM
To: Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Cc: Dawn Stevens <dawn.stevens@Comtech-serv.com>; Gershon Joseph <gershon@precisioncontent.com>; Wegmann, Frank <Frank.Wegmann@softwareag.com>; Nancy Harrison <nharrison@infobridge-solutions.com>
Subject: Re: Comments on the DITA TC charter

Wow. I wasn't expecting to prompt such soul-searching.

The best answer I have for you is the current charter template I've attached. Each section includes a note about what should go in the section. It is very general but does give some guidance. Let me add that section 2, the additional information part, is not technically part of the charter. It is for the benefit of interested parties when the TC first starts. That's why you don't find it in the charter online.

I typically think keeping your charter's statements general rather than ultra-precise is a better choice so that you avoid having the TC prevented later from taking actions. LW DITA is probably a good example of that. Had the charter been more prescriptive, it might have blocked that work.

Also, looking at your charter now, it appears that the page is not picking up a style sheet. I will see what I can do about that.

If you want more detailed answers, let me know. I'm happy to help you work through the process.

/chet