Subject: RE: [dita] Fwd: DITA grammars

To follow on this thread, Vasontâs web CCMS is developed on DOTNET and relies on XSD.

Deb Bissantz

Manager of Content Services

GlobalLink CCMS

A TransPerfect Company

t +1 717.793.3883
Skype â live:dbissant

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:dita@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Kristen James Eberlein
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2021 8:36 AM
To: DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [dita] Fwd: DITA grammars

Feedback from Rodolfo Raya ...

OASIS Distinguished Contributor
https://link.edgepilot.com/s/f17bccc5/YPbmlD6se0eup_TWkxilNQ?u=http://www.eberleinconsulting.com/
+1 919 622-1501; kriseberlein (skype)

-------- Forwarded Message --------

DITA grammars

Tue, 22 Jun 2021 09:52:13 -0300

Rodolfo Raya <rmraya@maxprograms.com>

Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>

Hello Kris,

Moving DITA grammars to RelaxNG looks cool and a modern thing to do, but from my perspective as developer this was a bad idea.

When a Java-based parser reads an XML file that declares a DTD or XSD grammar, the parser sets element attributes to their default values when the user doesnât explicitly set in the XML file. If the parser reads a DITA file, it automatically sets the @class attribute from the grammar, even if the author skipped it (most common case). Same with any attribute that has a default in the grammar.

Reading an XML file that declares a RelaxNG grammar using a Java-based parser does not set skipped attributes to their default values. Reading a DITA file with RelaxNG grammar does not let you know the value of the @class attribute in its elements.

My translation tools depend on the @class attribute to process user-defined elements. This is a problem when users try to adopt RelaxNG for their customized grammars. At least my tools canât support them today. Itâs not a new thing, the problem appeared long ago.

So, the move to embrace RelaxNG creates problems for some tool vendors. It requires major changes in XML parsers and catalog managers.

I really donât know if the DITA TC considered the libraries that developers use on different platforms, like .NET on Windows or Java. My impression is that the TC looked at authoring and publishing environments only.

Take this email as a small contribution to the discussion on grammars. Iâm not requesting any change or reconsideration, just providing additional information.

Regards,

Rodolfo

Links contained in this email have been replaced. If you click on a link in the email above, the link will be analyzed for known threats. If a known threat is found, you will not be able to proceed to the destination. If suspicious content is detected, you will see a warning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe from this mail list, you must leave the OASIS TC that generates this mail. Follow this link to all your TCs in OASIS at: https://link.edgepilot.com/s/5ab00c79/vZ0B7gruSEmf1y0NQJGdqA?u=https://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/portal/my_workgroups.php