OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 06 July 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
Kris: Contact Chris N and the OASIS staff to reschedule the webinar for a date in September.


OASIS DITA Technical Committee 22 June 2021 meeting notes
11 AM ET open
1. Roll call
Zoe, Nancy, Eric, Gershon, Carsten, Scott, Frank, Carlos, Deb, Robert, Dawn, Jim

Regrets: Chris N.

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
08 June 2021
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00031.html (Lawson, 22 June 2021)
Corrections submitted by Zoe.
Kris moved and Nancy seconded to approve minutes as submitted.

22 June 2021
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00041.html (Bissantz, 23 Jun 2021)
Kris moved and Scott seconded to approve minutes as submitted.

3. Announcements

4. Action items

06 April 2021
Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter
01 June 2021
Kris & Dawn: Follow up with Silke at Erikson about example of troubleshooting topic that contains diagnostic content IN PROGRESS - NOW COMPLETED Kris forwarded email from Silke to group.

22 June 2021
Kris: Look into opening a repository for specializations removed from the standard.
Kris: Look into rewriting the purpose of the RNG repository to broaden it a bit.
Everybody: Prepare questions or topics for discussion for the next webinar, June 29.
Eliot and Nancy: Review email from Silka and the DITA 1.3 Feature Article: Using DITA 1.3 Troubleshooting - https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/53516/DITA13TroubleshootingArticle_FINAL_03jul14.pdf (Completed by Kimber) Nancy also reviewd. Can mark as COMPLETED.

Kris: Contact Chris N and the OASIS staff to reschedule the webinar for a date in September.

Kris: Update PDF of DITA 2.0 proposals.

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines

No updates.

7. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals

Continuing discussion
Initial discussion
Early feedback

8. Rescheduling the second DITA 2.0 Webinar
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00000.html (Eberlein, 06 July 2021)

Kris: I think we need to select the best day to reschedule the second DITA 2.0 webinar. I think the Tuesday 11:00 am ET is a good time. Need to make sure Robert, Deb, and Chris are available.
Scott: I wonder if we should try for a September date to avoid vacations. Nancy: I agree, especially with Europe.
Kris: Is it July or August that countries. Frank: It really depends. But July and August is really when you can count on a lot of Europeans being on vacation. Kris: I'll try to open a calendar. My calendar does not list any holidays, can folks remind me when Labor day is in the US? Dawn: It is September 6. Kris: I would recommend September 14 or 21, but could be the 28. Dawn: The 21 is our Best Practices conference. Robert and Deb, do you have any commitments that might preclude. Robert: NOthing at this time. Deb: I gave my retirement notice for Sept 10, so will not be and OASIS member unless I become an individual member.

ACTION ITEM: Kris to contact Chris N and the OASIS staff to schedule a date in September.

Nancy: the only thing we should do is publicize with those who registered, that we have rescheduled. Kris: The OASIS Staff will automatically take care of that. I can also send a save the date email to those vendors who did not attend, like Adobe. Any additional thoughts?

9. Continuing DITA 2.0 troubleshooting: diagnostics_general OR diagnostics_steps (not both)?

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00030.html (Stevens, 20 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00031.html (Kimber, 20 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00046.html (Eberlein, 27 May 2021)
Additional information from Ericcson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00025.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)
NEW Thoughts from Eliot Kimber
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00035.html (Kimber, 22 June 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00038.html (Kimber, 22 June 2021)
NEW Thoughts from Kris Eberlein
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00001.html (Eberlein, 06 July 2021)
NEW Additional info from Ericsson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00002.html (Silke Achterfeld, forwarded by Eberlein, 06 July 2021)

Kris: we have not had any discussion on this for a while.
Dawn: The main issue that Silke brought up is the work-around she has to incorporate diagnostics. She has use cases that will not work with the current design for diagnostics. Some times Silke needs both a flowchart and the steps. Should we just change the rule from either from diagnostics general to diagnostics steps to both? Then companies could use both in a single topic rather than having to choose.
Kris: Eliot proposed an alternative to have a diagnostics overview specialized from
. Users would still choose from general and steps.
Nancy: I thought about that and I would prefer to have either or both. If you add the diagnostics overview, you are basically replicating what diagnostics general is. I would prefer to have both.
Kris: Dawn, was your preference for allowing both?
Dawn: I think so, for a simplicity perspective, rather than introducing a new element. I think somebody had suggested that diagnostics steps be steps informal, but I think that might be overkill as well.
Kris: I think if we go down the path of either or both, we would only want one diagnostics general and one diagnostics steps.
Nancy: and one diagnostics section.
Kris: I have not had an opportunity to digest Silke's email.
Nancy: I took a look at it and I felt that both would meet her needs.
Dawn: I also looked at it as well.
Kris: I also sent an email to the list where I reviewed the White paper from Bob Thomas. One thing that I noticed, regardless of which option we choose, we need to update that white paper. The DITA 1.3 article should be retired.
Nancy: The article should be marked as only applicable for DITA 1.3.
Kris: the article recommends using the first troubleshooting section for diagnostics.
Dawn: which is what Ericsson did. That is what we recommended. We also had them apply an outputclass. I agree we should re-write the white paper when we have a solution.
Kris: I think the DITA TC should update the information as a committee note rather than the adoption committee writing another white paper.
Scott: One thing we talked about was providing better conref mechanism for reusing steps in diagnostics steps.
Kris: I think will happen automatically. There shouldn't be anything preventing that reuse.
Robert: I think that is correct. DITA 2.0 removed constraint tokens that might have caused processors that prevented that reuse.
Nancy: Also DITA 1.3 used substeps rather than nested steps which should make reuse easier.
Kris: Diagnostics uses steps regardless of task or troubleshooting model.
Kris: Robert, do we need to highlight for processors some of our changes that eliminate these warnings.
Robert: I guess, I'm not sure where or how. The things that were highlighted causing warnings, will no longer be there causing problems.

Kris: I have two questions. Do we want to go ahead and make a decision today or or hold it for next week, assuming Eliot is present? The second is a process question: I'm assuming for this change, we will need to re-open the proposals for the diagnostics and troubleshooting element. Not only to technical design, but also to the spec documentation.
Robert: I think we have to have some sort of paperwork around this so this does not get lost.
Nancy: Do we need to do both stage 2 and stage 3?
Kris: I think we do, because the stage 3 proposal reuses a lot of information from the Stage 2 proposal through conref. So, I think we need to update both. Do folks want to go ahead and opt for the design of "either or both" or the solution that Eliot is proposing? Or, do folks want to wait until Eliot is present?
Nancy: I think we can wait. Since we have another proposal to review. I don't think it is urgent.
Gershon: I would also like to wait. I haven't had a chance to review Silke's email. I'd like to go through that to make sure what is being proposed is going to work for Precision Content clients as well.
Kris: Are there others who have clients who have content with complex diagnostics to make sure the new design will work for them?
Gershon: Our clients don't have the complex troubleshooting, but I want to put some thinking against the input from Ericsson with the proposals. I'll try to use the design for other clients I've worked with.
Kris: very good. I'll put this on the agenda for next week.
Kris: Regarding the need to have a DITA 2.0 troubleshooting committee note, who is available and willing to work on this? I'm hoping we can get the original DITA source for the white paper. I'm hoping it is available in Kavi or SVN. Unfortunately, Bob is no longer with us. I would like to give an acknowledgment to Bob in the Committee note. We need to check the OASIS rules. Anyone interested in volunteering to work on this? Nancy, Dawn, and Kris are willing to work on this.

Kris: Ask for other announcements.
Gershon: Keith has left Precision Content. His new employer is not an OASIS member. He is considering an individual membership and continuing as a representative on the Adoption committee.
Kris: Thanks for that.

11:43 AM ET close
-- Deb Bissantz
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 06 July 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Deb Bissantz
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2021-07-06 09:02:58

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]