Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 July 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
13 July 2021 NEW ACTION ITEMS
Nancy: Work on URL string, short description, and purpose statement for new Open OASIS repository for specializations not part of the standard, including those removed for DITA 2.0

==========================

OASIS DITA Technical Committee 13 July 2021 meeting notes

11 AM ET open

1. Roll call
Zoe, Dawn, Kris, Nancy, Chris, Keith, Robert, Gershon, Deb, Scott

Jim

Regrets: Carsten Brennecke, Carlos Evia, Frank Wegmann, Eric Sirois

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:

06 July 2021 https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00005.html (Bissantz, 06 July 2021)
Kris moved, Nancy seconded, Minutes approved

3. Announcements

?

4. Action items

06 April 2021 - Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter
22 June 2021 - Kris: Look into opening a repository for specializations removed from the standard. COMPLETED

Kris: Look into rewriting the purpose of the RNG repository to broaden it a bit. COMPLETED

Kris: Update PDF of DITA 2.0 proposals.
06 July 2021 - Kris: Communicate with Chris Nitchie and OASIS folks about September date for rescheduled Webinar COMPLETED

13 July 2021 - Nancy: Work on URL string, short description, and purpose statement for new Open OASIS repository for specializations not part of the standard, including those removed for DITA 2.0

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines

https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0

7. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals

Vote
None
Continuing discussion
None
Initial discussion
None
Early feedback
None

8. Continuing DITA 2.0 troubleshooting: diagnostics_general OR diagnostics_steps (not both)?

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00030.html (Stevens, 20 May 2021)

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00031.html (Kimber, 20 May 2021)

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00046.html (Eberlein, 27 May 2021)

Additional information from Ericcson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00025.html (Eberlein, 22 June 2021)

Thoughts from Eliot Kimber
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00035.html (Kimber, 22 June 2021)

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202106/msg00038.html (Kimber, 22 June 2021)

Thoughts from Kris Eberlein
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00001.html (Eberlein, 06 July 2021)

Additional info from Ericsson
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00002.html (Silke Achterfeld, forwarded by Eberlein, 06 July 2021)

Kris - Decide how we are going to go forward. This involves a revision to our proposals for diagnostics. One approach is to allow both diagnostics_general and diagnostics_steps, other approach to add new element specialized from
to allow for flowcharts.
Gershon - I read the long email. I'm okay with the change to allow both rather than either/or. Eliot's proposal is more sophisticated. At the late time, I think we should move on with allowing both.
Nancy - I think Eliot's proposal might also be confusing.
Kris - I'm okay with changing to allow both. We will have to be careful with updating to make sure we include both scenarios and enhance the examples. I'm hearing consensus that we move forward to revise those proposals to allow either or both diagnostics_general or diagnostics_steps in diagnostics. No objections. Dawn, let's move ahead. Let me know if you need help.
Dawn - You updated the grammar files, right?
Kris - Yes, I can do that. We can work together off line.
Dawn - What is the process for this? Would we use track changes to show people the changes.
Kris - We don't really have a process for this. Let's meet off line. I'll check those proposals and see if we need to do any change highlighting to bring to people attentions.

9. DITA TC Open OASIS repos

RNG converter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00009.html (Chet Ensign, 13 July 2021)

Need to revise statement of purpose to cover generating monolithic XSD (DTD also?)

New repo for specializations not part of the standard
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00010.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)

We need the following to request a repo
URL string (part of URL, for example, dita-rng-converter
Short description (used on Web page)
Purpose statement (used in README)
Maintainer name, e-mail, GitHub ID: Carlos Evia, cevia@vt.edu, carlosevia
Proposed OS license

Kris - WE talked about two things: broadening the scope of the RNG converter repository, and a new repository for our specializations that we are removing from the standard in DITA 2.0. We need a number of things to request a repository, listed in the agenda. Carlos stepped forward as maintainer. I suggest for the OS license we use the same license we used for the RNG converter. Is there somebody who could do a little work to put together the short description and purpose statement.
Nancy - We have those short description and purpose statement for our other repositories, don't we.
Kris - Yes. All of our repositories have these. We need to make sure we separate these from the standards repository
Nancy - I'll take a crack at it.
ACTION item for Nancy.

Kris - WE talked about this repository being a place to manage those items removed from the spec. Do we want to make this repository more broad than just the things we are removing, but to include other specializations.
Nancy - That might encourage others to put things there.
Kris - Other opinions?
Robert - I'm ambivalent.
Kris - I know early in the TC history, the TC thought they might have a repository for groups to maintain specializations. I'm also ambivalent. I'm pro opening up for others, but don't want this to become a dumping ground for specializations that have not been vetted.
Gershon - Are we able to monitor these repositories to prevent people from dumping.
Kris - Absolutely, that is the role of the maintainer. Maybe we start with a broad description with a main focus on collecting the content removed from the standard.
Nancy - Can we edit these?
Kris - If you look at Chet's email. He was okay with the changes suggested for the RNG repository description.

11:23 AM ET close

-- Deb Bissantz
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 13 July 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Deb Bissantz