Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 September 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. ***ActionItem: Eliot will review, update, and provide another copy of RNG tools repository text for review
2. ***ActionItem: Kris will do another turnaruound with OASIS staff wrt to having our next webinar on Oct. 5th, will have this back on agenda for next week.
3. ***ActionItem: Kris will send updated draft of troubleshooting CN to list.
4. ***ActionItem: Carlos and Frank will test procedure for building proposals, CN, or spec with oasis stylesheets.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 7 September 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Deb Bissantz, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets:

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202109/msg00000.html (Harrison, 01 September 2021)
moved by Kris, 2nd Dawn, approved by TC

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
Dawn, Gershon, Nancy, Frank, Kris: Work on revised charter IN PROGRESS; ON AGENDA
Nancy: Draft suggested URL string, short description, and purpose statement for OASIS open repo for specializations not part of the standard COMPLETED
Carlo: Generate PDF of LwDITA spec; due 16 August 2021 NEED OASIS-STYLED PDF
Kris: Refactor source for troubleshooting committee note; upload to committee note repo; due 16 August 2021 COMPLETED
Eliot: Draft revised description and purpose for RNG convertor repo IN PROGRESS
Kris: Check out OASIS form for requesting new repo COMPLETED
Robert: Examine DITA 2.0 specs to what can be published (without draft comments if necessary) by 14 September 2021 Webinar
31 August 2021:
Kris: Request repo for DITA specializations COMPLETED
Robert, Kris: Review Eliot's suggested changes to RNG Convertor repo
- Kris; Robert, have you looked at 2.0 specs to see what can be published?
- Robert; I tested it out, made some small fixes, we can publish it, just with some draft notes issues.
- Kris; and we have an agenda item on pushing webinar out...

5. Check-in: How are people doing in this difficult time? How is your state/country doing?
[no official businesss, deb's last day...]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
Stage three
(Stevens) Diagnostics elements (revised)
06 September 2021: Sent to reviewers (Harrison, Kimber)
10 September 2021: Reviewers return comments
14 2021: Initial TC discussion
21 September 2021: TC vote
- Kris; Dawn sent this out yesterday; when canyou get this back?
- Eliot; by friday
- Nancy; same
- Kris; then we can review at next mtg and put this to bed.

9. DITA TC Open OASIS repos
Continuing New repo for specializations not part of the standard
Requested by Eberlein on 07 September 2021
Continuing RNG converter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 13 July 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202107/msg00009.html (Chet Ensign, 13 July 2021)
- Kris; sent request for new repo to chet; haven't heard back yet.

Need to revise statement of purpose to cover generating monolithic XSD (DTD also?)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00036.html (Kimber, 31 August 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202109/msg00007.html (Eberlein, 07 September 2021)
- Kris; Eliot sent changes last week; I sent them around to TC; noticed you didn't make any changes to Readme or Statement of Purpose, just to tool overview.
- Eliot; I didn't think those parts needed to change.
- Kris; is a monolithic XSD conformant?
- Eliot; I think we changed things for 2.0 so conformance not required.
- Kris; if we're changing this at all, we should make it as clear as possible.
- Robert; I think the changes make sense; I'd probably hedge a bit more on the descriptions; can't get 100% on the XSD, so I'd add in the wiggle room 'as much as we can,' so it's not 100% mapping; might be good for folks to be aware of that.
- Eliot; maybe I overlooked mention of 1.3 in Statement of Purpose...
- Kris; looks like you did; if we're revising these, this is the time to make things version-agnostic...
- Robert; rather than listing specific versions, we might say '1.2 and future versions.'
- Kris; if we're changing them, can you send change-marked files to list?
- Eliot; looking at my copy, it says the right thing.
***ActionItem: Eliot will review, update, and provide another copy for review.
- Kris; do we want to remove 'dita-conformant' from statement?
- Eliot; I only find 'conformant' to occur once; easy enough to get rid of that.
- Kris; any other feedback for Eliot? so that it will be version agnostic and easy to maintain in long run and not committing us to something we can't do? I have a note in to Chet asking 'what can we change?'
- Robert; we may not be able to change file names, so we probably can't change readme.md -> readme.html
- Eliot; that's a bit of a problem.

8. DITA 2.0 stage three proposals
Vote
None
Continuing discussion
None
Initial discussion
None
Feedback
Another troubleshooting change
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202109/msg00010.html (Stevens, 07 September 2021)
- Dawn; while working on the latest fixes, I found yet another issue. The troublesolution element is required, even thoug it can be empty. But if people are importing solutions from other topics, that doesn't work; so I think we should make it optional.
- Kris; for a bit more context; when we originally created troubleshooting, there was no diagnostics section, so we had to have a solution for whatever problem you're troubleshooting. So we made troublesolution mandatory, but its content isn't mandatory so it would be easy to do reuse. With changes to 2.0 implementing diagnostics, you could easily have diagnostics pointing to outside topics for a remedy. this is a significant change to content model.
- Eliot; seems like an appropriate change, I would like to see the content model before saying yes.
- Kris; you're one of the stage 3 reviewers.
- Eliot; ok, it seems very rwesonable to me.
- Kris; the updated proposal has an example for diagnostics that covers this. the change is to content model for contentbody, where troublesolution was required before, but now is not.
- Nancy; is this backwards-incompatible?
- Dawn; no, would be if the change had gone in the other direction (from optional to mandatory).in the other direction....
- Robert; it seems like a good change.
- Kris; we've already made these changes.
- Nancy; do we have to go back to stage 2 again?
- Kris; no, we can do 2 and 3 together,
- Kris; any objections?
[none]

9. Rescheduled Webinar
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202109/msg00009.html (Eberlein, 07 September 2021)
Kris suggests shifting to 05 or 12 October; what works for presenters?
- Kris; a lot of stuff isn't ready, so it makes sense t5o push it out a bit. My question for Dawn/Robert/ChrisN is "are you available on either Oct 5 or 12?" Robert is good for both, Dawn on 5th but not 12th
- Chris; I'm available both days
- Kris; so let's go with 10/5, so we'll push to finish the above items; we'll want to have the specialization repo populated with old versions.
***ActionItem: Kris will do another turnaruound with OASIS staff on the 10/5 webinar date; then we'll have this back on agenda for next week.
- Kris; need help organizing, wolunteers?
- Nancy / Keith; what kind of help?
- Kris; will let you know next week

10. Using DITA 2.0 Troubleshooting committee note
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00034.html (Eberlein, 31 August 2021)
- Dawn; Crystal went over this; biggest thing was reference to 'complexity' and how to use troubleshooting in complex situations, The benefits of troubleshooting are useful across domains and industries; there's an acknowledgement that what you get out of the DITA-OT isn't what you want. Many of our clients want tabular info, those are certainly possible, so why don't folks use troubleshooting? It's hard to get things to look good OOTB, a discussion of those are things we want to add to the CN.
- Kris; Dawn and I work with folks trying to use troubleshooting topics, and when we ask 'why don't they want to?'. one thing is that it's a complex structure; it requires good stylesheet work to have items properly labeled or assigned proepr icons, and they don't realize they can use stylesheets to get tabular form, that's why there hasn't been a lot of uptake on these topics. For most of my clients who've ended up using it, I've created multiple shells, and Dawn has done the same with multipole templates rather than shells, We should discuss those kinds of approaches in the CN, since CNs are places we cna put non-normative content and guidelines/best practices. .We need to see what Nancy, Dawn & I are comfortable with, and what rest of TC are comfortable with.
- Kris; any gen'l ocmments or thoughts?
[none]
Any other TC members who've really worked with troubleshooting topics and have any best practices around it?
- Scott; I think loosening the model to make it more flexible is a good idea.
- Kris; we can spell that out in the CN. I will send an updated version built from source in Github. Currently, examples have a standard design, please take a look, when we do a review of this, we've rather hear substantive comments; we might want to think about this in terms of white papers we might do in future, now that adoption TC is gone.
***ActionItem: Kris will send updated draft of CN to list.

11. Ongoing Work on TC charter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00022.html (Wegmann, 18 May 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202105/msg00025.html (Harrison, 18 May 2021)
[no updates]

12. Health and well-being of voting membership
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00037.html (Eberlein, 31 August 2021)
[today was Deb's last day on call, due to imminent retirement]

13. Continued--Reflecting on DITA 2.0 proposal process
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202108/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 03 August 2021)
- Kris; I've ended up helping a lot of folks with proopsals because they couldn't use the stylesheets to publish proposals, but it's pretty easy to set up environment to use the stylesheets
- Carlos; I think I've got it set up now.
***ActionItem: Carlos and Frank will test procedure for building proposals, CN, or spec with OASIS stylesheets
Frank; I would definitely test this.
Kris; anyone want to test for doing this without Oxygen? Is anyone on TC not using Oxygen? e.g., XMEtal or Frame?
[none]
Kris; you can do it with an ant file or usiong the command line, but Oxygen makes it very easy, with less stuff in the how-to topic.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 7 September 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison