OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 October 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
1. Carlos & Kris will get together to come up with a complete list of what needs doing to create CN 3 for LwD.
2. Kris will give new charter to Chet.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 26 October 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:

Robert Anderson, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Carlos Evia, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Zoe Lawson, Chris Nitchie, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Frank Wegmann, Jim Tivy


1. Roll call
Regrets: Dawn Stevens, Scott Hudson, Eliot Kimber

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
12 October 2021
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202110/msg00017.html (Harrison, 15 October 2021)
moved by Kris, 2nd Gershon, approved by TC

3. Announcements

4. Action items
27 July 2021
Carlos: Generate PDF of LwDITA spec using OASIS stylesheets [see agenda item #5]
07 September 2021:
Carlos, Frank: Test procedure for building PDFs (TC generic, spec, committee note) with OASIS stylesheets [see agenda item #6]
12 October 2021:
Eliot: Identify problems with publishing LwDITA spec with FOP COMPLETED
Kris: Update DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines page COMPLETED

5. Report from LwDITA subcommittee
- Carlos; Dana from CIDM joined mtg yesterday; Frank was there; the big news is that with my new job, I'll have to quit Oasis work. Ellen, Jennifer, and Mark tried to plan next steps for LwD SC. Michael and I are trying to schedule a mtg on Nov 5th, but the only person on LwD SC who has expressed interest is Frank, and he doesn't have time to commit to this. Given that most people currently using LwD are using CN as a spec. option A is to release a new version of CN. option B is to merge LwD with DITA. Option C is to continue working on LwD spec and try to find resources to do it, but that's what we're looking at.
- Kris; when do you think you'll need to stop involvement w/LwD and this TC?
- Carlos; 2-3 weeks
- Kris; we require that SCs be chaired by a voting member of TC, so it's not something that Michael can do alone unless he rejoined the TC as a voting member.
- Carlos; the problem is that maybe the SC can't exist any more. The whole purpose of a SC under OASIS rules is to make a spec, but even though we've created something and put it out there, it's no longer enough. Frank, Alan, and Mark don't know if they can dedicate enough time to creating an actual LwD spec.
- Frank; so far, Michael is the one who develops ideas, and you have been the 'operative heart' of SC. If you're no longer doing it, then it would be difficult to say how we can proceed with the SC. So how can we get LwD to where we'd like it to be? I won't be able to fill your shoes. If we have to abandon the SC, then I would try to step in informally, but not with your capacity, and I don't have the time necessary to do the work needed to get the spec done in a decent timeframe.
- Carlos; right, that's pending in the conversation we want to have with Kris and Robert. What would it take to produce a document...?
- Kris; the easiest path is to produce an updated, final version of CN, use it to document current content model of LwD, based on curent state of XDITA and mappings from it. I'd be interested in hearing from other TC members.
- Robert; I'm just trying to figure out how to get Carlos back without him realizing it...
- Kris; comments??
- Eric; I was planning to volunteer my time to get LwD over the hump,
- Kris; I think we're good on that front.
- Carlos; one item Alan volunteered for was to separate common elements for LwD map and LwD topic; other than that, the DTDs are complete.
- Kris; right now those common elements are defined multiple times instead of being shared. Shall we make that an action item for Eric?
- Carlos; I would really appreciate it; just be sure to get into the spec branch; I can put you in touch with Alan to find out what is needed.
- Eric; it would probably be useful to have a list of 'to dos' to get things moving forward. Once that's done, we can see where I and others can help things get done.
- Kris; Carlos, if we were to fold LwD work into main TC and close SC, only thing the TC could do would be to push out an updated final version of CN. Who here in the main DITA TC would have interest / bandwidth to work on that CN?
- Eric; depends on how much work that is... I do have some time, but not unlimited; I'd need to know what I'd be getting into...
- Kris; I know that the first version of CN is stored in this TC's CN repo; but the source for version 2 of that CN is in SC repo; is that correct?
- Carlos; yes, it's there, in a branch called CN2.
- Kris; we want to move that to the TC CN repo. but we'll leave it hanging for now. Can you give us a sense of how much of the CN would need to be updated to bring it to current state?
- Carlos; it just needs a couple of changes; footnotes, change to MDITA map, (we want it to be a YAML file rather than Markdown), and 2.0 changes to simpletable. I don't think there's anything else.
- Kris; what about multimedia changes?
- Carlos; that's right, we have to add those also. But going thru the DTDs is the way to see whats changed.
- Kris; what about mappings to MDITA and HDITA.
- Carlos; we didn't make any other changes to MDITA, so things were implemented mostly in XDITA for 2.0; nothing changed in HDITA.
- Kris; has the SC figured out necessary mappings for HDITA and MDITA for various multimedia elements?
- Carlos; they're in the current version of the spec to current versions of multimedia. There's no multimedia in MDITA, we ask users to user HTML.
- Kris; so the content you have currently could be cannibalized to update the CN?
- Carlos; yeah.
- Kris; anyone on TC besides Eric who want's to work on final CN?
- Frank; I want to, but I don't know how much I can commit to the task, if Eric can commit, I can check to see if I can help.
Carlos was very involved, but I don't know if he's in it now; this is a change from yesterday's mtg.
- Kris; I was very involved in CN 1, looks like I may have to be involved in CN2 as well. Carlos, can you examine current spec topic and try to draft a list of necessary changes?
- Carlos; we can have a meeting to work out those changes. Michael wanted to have a mtg about possibilities and options, why don't we replace that mtg with a meeting about CN changes?
- Kris; we may be jumping over the mtg that Michael wants to have, but I don't ee a possibility of folding LwD into 2.0 DITA spec.
- Robert; the mtg we set with Michael is about getting the 2 specs working together, but now we can't do that and we just need to know what we need to do to get a new version of CN.
***ActionItem: Carlos & Kris will get together to come up with a complete list of what needs doing to create CN 3 for LwD.

6. Setting up an OASIS publishing environment
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202109/msg00013.html (Eberlein, 07 September 2021)
Feedback from Carlos and Frank?
- Kris; any movement on this? Carlos, do you want to work on this, since most of the motivation was to try to publish LwD?
- Carlos; Frank tried and got the same error messages I got.
- Kris; Eliot was able to successfully publish the CN and 2.0 spec using our stylesheets. Eliot said the problems with the LwD spec were undefined keys and topics not found, which should have been in the common files directory. I think when Robert re-did the @ work for the main spec, there were files that were removed from the repo, and topics that were deleted. Robert, is that so?
- Robert; yes, that happened, I think some files were deleted; we had a section at end of spec 'comlex @ definitions' which was reworked them to be consistent with feature, so weird topics like Keyref@ are no longer there.
- Kris; if we're not publishing a LwD spec, it doesn't really matter.
- Robert; unless someone wants to work on the spec, that's no longer an issue.
- Kris; so I'm going to relieve Carlos and Frank of this action item. But for DITA 2.0, we do need to have multiple people able to publish specs and CNs, so this will come back.
- Zoe; I was able to publish the CN I worked on in the past; I haven't set up a new one recently.

7. Revised charter
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202110/msg00027.html (Eberlein, 26 October 2021)
Kris moved, Nancy 2nd, approved by TC
***ActionItem: Kris will give new charter to Chet.

8. Spec work completed
- Kris; Robert, can you give an update?
- Robert; there's an extremely complicated new example to keyscopes section of spec, if you have 2 keyscopes with exactly the same name in different keyscopes, the keys available are not union of the contained keys, This was an example to address a complex case. (Thanks to Chris for help with that..)
- Kris; Robert and I have a call scheeduled to discuss work items and we'll start scheduling formal reviews, not yet on all architectural topics, but we can do it on the element reference topics.

11:45 ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 26 October 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison
Group: OASIS Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA) TC
Folder: Meeting Notes
Date submitted: 2021-11-01 01:53:28

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]