Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 November 2021 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItem:
1. Kris will upload a recent entire spec to Kavi and send mail to TC.

y=================================================
Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 9 November 2021
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Carsten Brennecke, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Jim tivy, Stan Doherty

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Scott Hudson, Chris Nitchie, Eliot Kimber, Keith Schengili-Roberts

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00008.html (Harrison, 03 November 2021)
Kris moved, 2nd by Dawn, approved by TC

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
Kris & Carlos: Determine how LwDITA committee note would need to be updated
[no update]
02 November 2021:
Kris: Get DITAweb back up and running COMPLETED
Robert: Update grammar files for bug fix re title-role attribute COMPLETED
Kris and Robert: Provide explanation of element-reference template [agenda #5 for today]
Scott: Reach out to Oxygen about using their tooling for reviews COMPLETED
Kris: Kick off review one COMPLETED

5. Review #1 of element-reference topics
https://ditaweb.com/oasis-dita/#/Collaborate/00811073-DC_1/DA00509438/Basic%20topic%20elements
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00015.html
- Kris; I reviewed what's available on DITAWeb; it's a small set of topics than we were previously sending out.
- Robert; a smaller set of topics is always easier to review, but the downside is that links to outside that small range are broken.
- Kris; I'll give you sharing privilieges; maybe you could show folks how to use DITAWeb...
- Robert; I'll need a couple of minutes to get ready..
- Kris; I can set it up and share screen
[here, Robert and Kris gave a short lesson on using DITAWeb, which was recorded and available at ???]
- Kris; does anyone need an or a new password, either because yours is no longer working, or because you never had one?
[Eric & Dawn need new passwds, Zoe, Gershon, Frank need accts; Robert created them during the call.]

6. Explanation of element-reference template
Review tooling
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 02 November 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00016.html (Hudson, forwarded by Eberlein on 09 November 2021)
- Robert; we went thru template 2-3 yrs ago, this is a whole new template, better-organized, easier to review, with standard sections which have standard names. Not every section is present for every element.
o Shortdesc uses natural language to describe things, usually usage info, guidance for authors (this was a requirement for LwD).
o Some optional sections, e.g., rendering expectations, what goes onto the screen, are in many but not majority of elements.
o After that comes proceesing info, not so many of these; what a processor needs to be aware of that it might not be, e.g., 'when you're processsing this, you need to ...'.
o Next two sections are required; @s and Examples; for examples, we've restricted them to common usage examples, not edge cases. For complex elements, there may be multiple examples.
- Kris; if a topic only has a single example, then example section title is 'Example', otherwise, 'Examples'. If a topic has multiple examples, the section starts with sentence introducing them; each example is in a figure element with a title.
- Zoe; is the template description that Robert just went thru in a document somewhere?
- Kris; no, but we'll create one.
- Robert; there is a description; it's on a wiki page, but it's not easy to find. we need to consolidate it.
- Zoe; I would like to have an annotated topic of what goes where; are there conventions?
- Kris; most of it is easy; what's hard is judging what's rendering vs processing? We talked a lot about it a couple of years ago; 'rendering is what goes on the glass; processing is normative wrt what a processor must do. e.g. shortdesc.
Kris; the shortdesc topic is good because it has every section; including normative statements in rendering section; and in processing section, a description of where shortdesc actually overrides other things.

[folks who brought up DITAWeb had a problem with loading topic elements; Kris may end up creating wiki pages for review if problem can't be fixed; also she may ask for help from congility.]

- Kris; any questions? reason for natural language was LwD, LwD folks didn't want us to use element name in shortdesc. and for some topics, where there are gen'l authoring tips, we often removed them. Also, we've removed any kind of formatting expectations from language topics, they're still in spec, but now in a non-normative appendix. There was a lot of formatting stuff, and we didn't want to have it in normative topics.
- Robert; for natural language changes, they were prompted by LwD, but outcome is that we have to more rigorously describe things, so it led to better descriptions. We'll probably get to some places where that doen't make sense, e.g. classification domain.
- Kris; once we move out of shortdesc section into rendering, examples, etc. we do sometimes uses element name; we're not trying to use natural language everywhere, just in shortdesc.
- Kris; what shall we set as deadline for review? It's a small # of topics, but with DITAWeb issues, maybe extend it?
- Zoe; better to have one week, otherwise it will slip.
- Kris; ok
- Zoe; is this review about 'whatever you find' or do you want us to look for specific things
- Robert; stay away from simple formatting issues, especially in DITAWeb, since it doesn't render stuff the same as the PDF does. We're looking for accuracy and completeness.
- Kris; also, some of these topics have been overhauled for first time since 1.0, Multimedia element topics are brand new, but old topics probably really need review. And we do have some without natural language. e.g. 'dita' element. we tried to put info that was in spec topics that people really need to know; especially the 'dita' element; dita is part of base, but it has no functionality in base, and that's what we show in examples. We also tried to provide more high-quality examples than previously; we still have some 'bat feeding' stuff but we've upgraded a lot, and if someone wants to replace that stuff, that would be great. If we're snipping content, there will be 3 ellipses surrounded by an XML comment.
- Kris; one more thing, Scott and Eliot raised possibility of useing an Oxygen tool instead of DITAWeb; we should think about it, and points that Syncrosoft are raising, but let's stick with DITAWeb for one or two reviews.
- Zoe; is there a place where the whole spec is, so I can look at it for reference?
- Kris; we don't have a link to recent PDF, but it's there in Kavi, and I can get out a link to one. It would be helpful for folks to consider whether particular info from a lang. ref. topic needs to be covered in an architecture spec topic. e.g. titlealt needs such an arch topic, but it doesn't exist yet.
***ActionItem: Kris will upload a recent entire spec to Kavi and send mail to TC.
- Zoe; and a link to it...
- Dawn; If we review content and have no changes, do you want us to make a comment to indicate such so you know it was reviewed?
- Kris; wouldn't hurt.
- Kris; Robert and I will try to set up a review schedule for other elements, wrt grouping e.g emphasis with highlighting domains.
- Zoe; it's good that we'e gotten to the review phase.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 9 November 2021

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison