Subject: Spec terminology: Implementation-dependent / implementation-defined

Since this is a general remark regarding the whole spec, I send it to the list:

While reading comments to the current review round, I stumbled across the termn “implementation dependent” and my instant impulse is to write it with a hyphen. Then I learned that it is good English usage to write it with a hyphen, if that compound adjective acts as a modifier (“implementation-defined behavior”) vs. its use after the noun that is refers to (“behavior is implementation defined”). Interesting, but sideshow.

My real question is about the definitions of the terms “implementation-specific”, “implementation-dependent”, and “information-defined”. And I’m referring to work draft 15 from Nov 23 here.

The term “implementation-specific” is used once:

In 5.3.1.1 Merging of cascading attributes: cascade=”nomerge”: “Tokens can apply to a set of attributes, specified as part of the @cascade value. In that case, the syntax

for specifying those values consists of the implementation-specific token, followed by a parenthetical

group that uses the same syntax as groups within the @audience, @platform, @product, and

@otherprops attributes.”

The term “implementation-dependent” is used twice:

In 7.2.7 (Merging index elements): “It is implementation-dependent as to whether processors consider the presence of phrase-level markup

within <indexterm> elements when performing a matching operation.”

…and in 10.5.1.24 (<source>), processing expectations : “It is implementation-dependent what it means when the element has both content and an attribute-based

reference to another resource.”

The term “implementation-defined” is not used at all.

What I’m missing here are definitions of these terms.

Now, I reckon that probably everyone has a direct understanding of “implementation-specific”, namely that the matter described (may|should|…) is specific to a particular implementation to set it apart from another implementation, which (may|should|…) implement it differently.

“Implementation-dependent” is being used in different ways. It can help to distinguish between “implementation-defined” and “implementation-dependent”. I guess that W3C specs are not necessarily a guideline for the TC, but this is what is being used for the latest edition of XSL 2.0 (https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/REC-xslt20-20210330/):

[Definition: In this specification, the term implementation-defined refers to a feature where the implementation is allowed some flexibility, and where the choices made by the implementation must be described in documentation that accompanies any conformance claim.]

[Definition: The term implementation-dependent refers to a feature where the behavior may vary from one implementation to another, and where the vendor is not expected to provide a full specification of the behavior.] (This might apply, for example, to limits on the size of source documents that can be transformed.)

This raises some questions (at least for me):

  • Is there a reason why the terms used “i.-specific” and “i.-dependent” are not defined in the spec?
  • If not, is it advisable to refer to a W3C spec for a definition, if that matches the use of the term in the DITA spec?
  • Are there any more places, where these terms perhaps should be used?

If that has been discussed in the past, then I’m sorry that I’m not aware of that, but I think, it’s the right time to ask these questions. And I hope, I’m not opening a can of worms here…

Thanks,

Frank

Software AG – Sitz/Registered office: Uhlandstraße 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany – Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Sanjay Brahmawar (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Elke Frank, Dr. Matthias Heiden, Dr. Stefan Sigg - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich - http://www.softwareag.com