Subject: FYI -- Boston-area teams using subjectScheme taxonomies

A quick poll of folks in BostonDITA who use taxonomies did not yield very much.
- One team had been using subjectScheme taxonomies and SDL to manage TOCs. Since abandoned.
- Two teams have been using taxonomies in easyDITA. Jorsek uses a proprietary metadata editing system and SKOS internally (https://help.easydita.com/content-strategies/taxonomy-and-metadata#concept-1272). It can
import many taxonomy formats and convert them to SKOS (https://help.easydita.com/faqs/management). Not sure that Jorsek uses subjectScheme maps for controlled attribute values. That looks proprietary as well.

Many teams NOT in a CCMS use subjectScheme maps for controlled attribute values.
From Gershon
One of my clients uses Zoomin and Ixiasoft. Ixiasoft has a nice implementation that ingests the subject scheme map and presents it to the users as a taxonomy hierarchy that users use to drag and drop taxonomy terms to be applied to a map and/or topic. We donÂt let writers loose on the subject scheme map, thatÂs only for the admin who managers the file.

I suspect in the short term removing the classification map and domain from the spec wonÂt change how our vendors manage this. It may result in custom proprietary mechanisms to manage taxonomies in the future. IÂm on the wall on this one. LetÂs see if anyone else responds.

Gershon