Subject: Re: For discussion - what does it mean to mix DITA 1.3 and 2.0?

My gut feeling is that we canât really expect tools to handle all intricacies of changes between 1.3 and 2.0 and perform seamless processing across versions. After all, DITA 2.0 has been dubbed as a version that is incompatible to the previous one. So this naturally calls for a migration of documents (topics and maps), especially for larger volumes of data.

I agree with Gershon and think that a formal recommendation to process only 1.x or 2.0 data at the same time could help. Iâm open to the question whether to include more details of the kind that Robert outlined in his OP.

I could imagine that tool vendors might find various answers of how to deal with mixed-version doc repositories. For example, in a CCMS, you could analyze existing data, flag 2.0-compliant documents and offer certain operations only on them. Vice versa, you could offer applying migration steps exclusively for non-2.0 documents.

f.

FrÃn: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> fÃr Robert Anderson <robert.dan.anderson@oracle.com>
Skickat: Tuesday, December 21, 2021 3:42:47 PM
Till: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Ãmne: [dita] For discussion - what does it mean to mix DITA 1.3 and 2.0?

This question came up in an implementation discussion, with some implications I had not previously considered.

I've been asked about mixing 1.3 and 2.0 in several venues, and have always said that I think this is largely up to implementations but that I expect most tools will let you mix 1.3 and 2.0 topics as part of the same map. If a tool claims to support both versions, then it has the grammar files to parse them and will accurately read and handle the files. There may be hiccups in some cases, such as trying to conref across versions, so you should check with your application before planning on such a split environment.

But what about maps, where so much of DITA processing is built around the idea of a single resolved map context (key space, cascading/inheritance of metadata, etc)? The grammar part still seems clear to me - you can parse a 2.0 root map and parse a 1.3 submap because you have the DTD/RNG. But how does that impact processing, and what should applications expect? This gets more complicated:
My take on all of this is basically -- we have a 1.3 standard, and a 2.0 standard, we do not have a 'mix of both' standard, so it is up to implementations how to handle this, if they can handle it at all. They also should probably define and document their expected behavior.

If that's the case, does the TC need to make an official statement to that effect, or even put a note about compatibility in an appendix for the 2.0 spec? I believe the only alternative where this is notâ up to implementations is if the TC develops a full compatibility spec, with normative rules about how each modified feature interacts in different scenarios. At the moment that feels like a really big task, so I don't see it happening as part of the spec.

Thanks,
Robert

Software AG â Sitz/Registered office: UhlandstraÃe 12, 64297 Darmstadt, Germany â Registergericht/Commercial register: Darmstadt HRB 1562 - Vorstand/Management Board: Sanjay Brahmawar (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Dr. Elke Frank, Dr. Matthias Heiden, Dr. Stefan Sigg - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Karl-Heinz Streibich - http://www.softwareag.com