Subject: Implementation-specific, implementation-dependent, etc.

Robert and I had a chance to discuss this during a spec editors' call on 27 December. Prior to that call, I had searched the spec for all instances of the word "implementation," and generated a HTML file that listed them (attached).

We don't think we can use the W3C terms and their definitions, as they don't really map well to OASIS normative statements, but certainly want to crisp up the language used in the spec.

On first glance, the spec tends to make the following sorts of statements about when something is left up to the implementation:

I'll be digging more into this, but thought that folks might:

Robert and I looked briefly at the XSLT spec (and liked what we saw), but it was at the end of our 90-minute call and we ran out of time.

Title: Results
Description File Location
<li>If both a height value and width value are specified, implementations <term C:\Git\specification\common\conref-rendering-expectations.dita

Start line 18:79

Length: 14

outputclass="RFC-2119">MAY</term> define their own custom, implementation-specific tokens C:\Git\specification\common\conref-file.dita

Start line 186:70

Length: 14

for the <xmlatt>merge</xmlatt> attribute. To avoid name conflicts between implementations or C:\Git\specification\common\conref-file.dita

Start line 187:83

Length: 14

with future additions to the standard, implementation-specific tokens <term C:\Git\specification\common\conref-file.dita

Start line 188:48

Length: 14

abbreviation for the implementation followed by a colon followed by the token or method C:\Git\specification\common\conref-file.dita

Start line 190:30

Length: 14

value are specified, implementations <term C:\Git\specification\common\conref-attribute.dita

Start line 135:62

Length: 14

this case, the implementation might give an error C:\Git\specification\common\conref-attribute.dita

Start line 340:66

Length: 14

implementation dependent, but if feasible, it is C:\Git\specification\common\conref-attribute.dita

Start line 365:51

Length: 14

Start line 99:73

Length: 14

instead od text. The available height is implementation C:\Git\specification\common\reuse-w-lwdita\reuse-image.dita

Start line 84:56

Length: 14

<li>If both a height value and width value are specified, implementations <term C:\Git\specification\common\reuse-w-lwdita\reuse-video.dita

Start line 42:69

Length: 14

symbol used is implementation specific.</p> C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\fn.dita

Start line 36:26

Length: 14

implementation. It can be used together with the <xmlatt>data</xmlatt> C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\object.dita

Start line 62:25

Length: 14

object's implementation, as for <xmlatt>classid</xmlatt>. When specified, C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\object.dita

Start line 69:34

Length: 14

implementation as a string. </dd> C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\param.dita

Start line 111:19

Length: 14

used:</p><codeblock>&lt;p&gt;A &lt;term&gt;reference implementation&lt;/term&gt; of DITA implements the standard, C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\term.dita

Start line 26:63

Length: 14

to the implementation.</p> C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\simpletable.dita

Start line 128:16

Length: 14

Start line 46:25

Length: 14

Start line 22:10

Length: 14

some components are installed, but not others. An implementation might use the C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\component.dita

Start line 23:59

Length: 14

Start line 25:16

Length: 14

given <xmlelement>indexterm</xmlelement>. An implementation encountering more than one C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\sort-as.dita

Start line 83:58

Length: 14

different default value? How is an implementation supposed to C:\Git\specification\langRef\base\defaultSubject.dita

Start line 26:46

Length: 14

implementation dependent; in such cases processors <term outputclass="RFC-2119" C:\Git\specification\langRef\ditaval\ditaval-revprop.dita

Start line 37:17

Length: 14

which are implementation dependent.</li> C:\Git\specification\langRef\ditaval\ditaval-val.dita

Start line 55:32

Length: 14

implementation-dependent.</p></dd> C:\Git\specification\langRef\attributes\commonAttributes.dita

Start line 284:15

Length: 14

works that comment on or otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be C:\Git\specification\resources\oasis-notices.dita

Start line 13:72

Length: 14

that would necessarily be infringed by implementations of this OASIS Committee Specification C:\Git\specification\resources\oasis-notices.dita

Start line 28:48

Length: 14

ownership of any patent claims that would necessarily be infringed by implementations of C:\Git\specification\resources\oasis-notices.dita

Start line 33:79

Length: 14

other rights that might be claimed to pertain to the implementation or use of the technology C:\Git\specification\resources\oasis-notices.dita

Start line 39:62

Length: 14

its official outputs. OASIS welcomes reference to, and implementation and use of, C:\Git\specification\resources\oasis-notices.dita

Start line 53:64

Length: 14

or undefined values. Recovery from validation errors is implementation specific.</p> C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\binding-controlled-values-to-attribute.dita

Start line 43:69

Length: 14

consists of the implementation-specific token, followed by a parenthetical group that C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\merging-of-cascading-attributes.dita

Start line 21:29

Length: 14

outputclass="RFC-2119">MUST</term> precede any implementation-specific tokens, for C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\merging-of-cascading-attributes.dita

Start line 28:64

Length: 14

not valid in bookmap and might not be understandable by processors. The result is implementation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\cascading-of-roles-in-specialized-maps.dita

Start line 59:86

Length: 14

attribute. These tokens are necessarily implementation dependent and might not be supported C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\chunk-attribute-other-tokens.dita

Start line 6:49

Length: 14

implementations processing <xmlatt>chunk</xmlatt> to generate files, as long as the rendered result C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\examples-of-chunking.dita

Start line 12:1

Length: 14

is split or combined as described. If generating files, actual file names are implementation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\examples-of-chunking.dita

Start line 13:79

Length: 14

<xmlelement>topichead</xmlelement>elements in implementation-specific ways â Was that C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\example-chunk-combine-group.dita

Start line 41:59

Length: 14

Start line 53:23

Length: 14

from this map, or to the individual topics in the other context. Implementations will have to guess C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\example-chunk-managing-links.dita

Start line 100:66

Length: 14

for an implementation to define its own way to resolve this ambiguity; however, if a situation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\example-chunk-managing-links.dita

Start line 119:8

Length: 14

requires both multiple instances of split topics and unambiguous cross-implementation links to those C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\example-chunk-managing-links.dita

Start line 120:72

Length: 14

implementation <term outputclass="RFC-2119">MAY</term> generate an error message; it <term C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\thehrefattribute.dita

Start line 21:5

Length: 14

the purpose of creating map-to-map key references (peer maps). An implementation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\thescopeattribute.dita

Start line 22:87

Length: 14

<xmlatt>type</xmlatt> attribute value. In this case, an implementation <term C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\thetypeattribute.dita

Start line 39:67

Length: 14

implementation rules and was moved from the langref to the archspec seciton about keys. Need C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\the-key-scope-attribute.dita

Start line 25:9

Length: 14

a navigation link. If it is an error for the element to be empty, an implementation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\processing-key-references-general.dita

Start line 63:86

Length: 14

implementation specific.</p> C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\indexes.dita

Start line 31:5

Length: 14

Start line 24:18

Length: 14

other implementation strategy.</p> C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\theconactionattribute.dita

Start line 209:15

Length: 14

Start line 245:51

Length: 14

Start line 73:38

Length: 14

Start line 37:46

Length: 14

<indexterm>design and implementation rules<indexterm>document-type C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\rules-document-type-shells.dita

Start line 9:31

Length: 14

<shortdesc>Modularization is at the core of DITA design and implementation. It enables reuse and C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\specialization-modularization.dita

Start line 5:62

Length: 14

Start line 9:31

Length: 14

Start line 9:31

Length: 14

Start line 24:73

Length: 14

<note rev="2.0">For DITA implementations that use RNG-based grammar file, restricting the set of C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\constraints-overview.dita

Start line 52:31

Length: 14

<shortdesc>There are certain rules that apply to the design and implementation of C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\constraint-rules.dita

Start line 5:66

Length: 14

Start line 10:49

Length: 14

Start line 10:41

Length: 14

implementation to use:</p> C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\example-constrain-a-domain-using-rng.dita

Start line 27:11

Length: 14

<shortdesc>There are certain rules that apply to the design and implementation of expansion C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\expansion-module-rules.dita

Start line 5:69

Length: 14

<indexterm>design and implementation rules<indexterm>expansion C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\expansion-module-rules.dita

Start line 10:39

Length: 14

<indexterm>expansion modules<indexterm>design and implementation C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\expansion-module-rules.dita

Start line 12:67

Length: 14

<title>Implementation of element-configuration modules</title> C:\Git\specification\archSpec\base\relax-ng-coding-requirements-for-element-configuration-modules.dita

Start line 14:20

Length: 14

<shortdesc>An implementation is a conforming implementation of DITA if the implementation meets C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 6:17

Length: 14

<shortdesc>An implementation is a conforming implementation of DITA if the implementation meets C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 6:48

Length: 14

<shortdesc>An implementation is a conforming implementation of DITA if the implementation meets C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 6:78

Length: 14

different processors to produce the same or similar results with little or no reimplementation or C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 11:81

Length: 14

<title>4.1 Conformance of DITA implementations</title> C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 15:32

Length: 14

implementation that supports a feature <term outputclass="RFC-2119">MUST</term> conform to all rules C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 17:1

Length: 14

Start line 59:20

Length: 14

Start line 63:47

Length: 14

>SHOULD</term> indicate which features are (or are not) supported. If an implementation supports C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 64:74

Length: 14

Start line 67:47

Length: 14

Start line 72:4

Length: 14

implementation that does not support a particular feature <term outputclass="RFC-2119">MUST</term> C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 74:1

Length: 14

be prepared to interoperate with other implementations that do support the feature.</p> C:\Git\specification\conformance\conformance.dita

Start line 75:40

Length: 14

Start line 67:16

Length: 14

implementation is being heavily customized, a customized document type can help isolate and C:\Git\specification\non-normative\speclimits.dita

Start line 68:9

Length: 14

implementation of the following DITA 2.0 proposals:</p><ul> C:\Git\specification\non-normative\revision-history.dita

Start line 127:25

Length: 14