Subject: Re: [External] : [dita] My proposal for what to do with the classification domain

I like this idea, I think it really simplifies the grammar. It also clears up a real point of confusion in that we've always included the classification domain as part of the base vocabulary, but we don't delivery any shells that use it in the base vocabulary.

I also think it's wise to defer any processing expectations on this, for the reasons Kris suggested. Today's domain also does not lay out any processing expectations, so we're not losing anything with that. A single new subjectrefs attribute that lists subject keys seems far easier to build on than the eight elements we have today.

Thanks,
Robert

From: dita@lists.oasis-open.org <dita@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Kristen James Eberlein <kris@eberleinconsulting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 8:55 AM
To: DITA TC <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

I propose that we do the following:

  • Remove the classification domain and classification map from the base package. Add the domain and the document-type shell to the repo for things removed from the spec.
  • Add a new attribute, @subjectrefs, that would be available on <topicref> and <topicref> specializations. We probably won't want it available on all the specializations of topicref used in bookmap ...
  • Do not include processing expectations for @subjectrefs in the DITA 2.0 spec; that would require more time and consideration than we have at this point in the DITA 2.0 development process. However, adding the attribute for DITA 2.0 would open the door to specifying processing expectations in future release.

Because we would be adding a new attribute, this would require going through the proposal process.