Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 February 2022 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Robert will do cleanup on object, removing deprecated @s.
2. Eliot will find a relevant example for using object for an iframe.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 15 February 2022
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Jim Tivy

Voting members:
Robert Anderson y y
Carsten Brennecke y reg
Stan Doherty y y
Kris Eberlein y y
Nancy Harrison y y
Scott Hudson y reg
Gershon Joseph y y
Eliot Kimber y y
Zoe Lawson y y
Keith Schengili-Roberts y y
Eric Sirois y y
Dawn Stevens y y
Frank Wegmann y y

Joe Pairman
Amber Swope
Jim Tivy y y
Graydon Saunders
Marian Knebel
Bill Burns
Alan Houser

Robert Anderson, Carsten Brennecke, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Gershon Joseph, Eliot Kimber, Zoe Lawson, Keith Schengili-Roberts, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Scott Hudson, Carsten Brennecke

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00009.html (Harrisonn, 05 February 2022)
Kris moved, 2nd Eliot, approved by TC

3. Announcements - none

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
Eliot: Develop new example for object element-reference topic [SEE AGENDA ITEM #5]

5. What to do vis-a-vis object element?
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00005.html (Eberlein, 02 February 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 03 February 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00007.html (Harrison, 03 February 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 03 February 2022)
Kris; a lot of folks using it to produce iframes, so we don't want to get rid of it, but do we want to get rid of deprecated @s
Eliot; how do they use it?
Kris; strictly with @outputclass, to get videos into iframes; it's used in Oxygen. I sent a listing of deprecated @s out to the TC, and there are a lot of them. Should we deprecate them also, or just remove them?
Robert; I don't feel too strongly about it either way, but some of these deprecated @s are the ones that cause confusion for our users. It's worth checking to see if Oxygen uses any of them, or if it's all related to Flash usage. Any that they don't use, I think it would make sense to remove.
Eliot; I agree
Kris;; does anyone have time to do a quick search of Oxygen help? It looks like it's just using object with @outputclass, plus maybe name/source value, so it doesn't show any of the deprecated @s at all.
Eliot; our docs make this usage obsolete.
Kris; actually, they may not make it obsolete.
Eliot; but we now have more specific elements (video/audio)
Kris; so what do people think?
Nancy; i'm in favor of removing unused stuff (i.e., deprecated @s) we can't explain or justify.
Keith; agree
Robert; slightly disagree; in theory, I object to leaving something in just for sake of ease.
Gershon; with exception of Oxygen, who could use a different extension, would any other DITA users have any problems?
Kris; Robert, can you talk about utility?
Robert; it's not just that one authoring tool is using it; it would affect every author using Oxygen that's using it, So removing it would have pretty widespread effect, and it's still a valid HTML element, so that argues against removing it.
Kris; would we also be removing the keyrefs?
Robert; if we romove the @s they're based on, we should remove them too.
Kris; what about @name and @valuetype?
Eliot; they should go as well.
Kris; I'm sensing there's a consensus to removing deprecated @s..
Eliot; iframe is a non-trivial use, and distinct from video, a way to say "inside this part of my page, you can put another entire HTML page, not just an embedded video."
Robert; and the video element doesn't give you easy access to those functions, and we're not adding those to video at this point.
Kris; so any serious objections?
[none]
***ActionItem: Robert will do cleanup on object, removing deprecated @s.
***ActionItem: Eliot will find a relevant example for using object for an iframe.

6. Review J: 07-14 February 2022
Opening of review: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00014.html (Eberlein, 07 February 2022)
Status
Robert; not a lot of comments on these, either not a lot of review, or there aren't a lot of issues; just a few wording changes, no serious controversy.
Kris; I expected that people don't use hazard statement stuff that often.
Dawn; I looked at it this morning, everything looks fine to me, just a error in an example, so I noted that.
Robert; thanks, we expect to make these updates today or tomorrow.

7. Review K: Metadata and cascading metadata
Opening of review: https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202202/msg00021.html (Eberlein, 15 February 2022)
Robert; this review combines 2 sections arch spec content, which need to be reviewed together; 1) an overview DITA topic with high-level about metadata, plus 2) a topic about processing metadata, was reorged at 1.3. previously had its own langref section, which wasn't standard. Examples are still in there, but just reorganized.
Kris; it's not a lot of content, but important content. please dive into it.

8. Review tooling
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00006.html (Eberlein, 02 November 2021)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202111/msg00016.html (Hudson, forwarded by Eberlein on 09 November 2021)
Update from Scott Hudson
(on hold because of his regrets for today)

11:23 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 15 February 2022

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison