Subject: Re: DTD examples in DITA 2.0 spec if RNG is normative

Gershon, I think one important consideration here is that DITA supports both of the following grammar mechanisms:

  • DTD
  • RNG

Because we need to select one grammar mechanism to be normative, we selected RNG. What that really means is that – if there is a difference between the grammars, the RNG version is what is correct and definitive.

Background and context for folks:

  • DITA 1.0-1.2: We supported both DTD and XSD. DTD was normative
  • DITA 1.3: We introduced support for RNG and selected it as the normative grammar.
  • DITA 2.0: We drop support for XSD, but continue supporting DTD. RNG is the normative grammar.

Owner, Eberlein Consulting LLC
kris@eberleinconsulting.com