Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 23 August 2022 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Robert will implement the directory structure we discussed for our Github repository for specializations removed from DITA 2.0.
2. Kris will send to list her prototype reorg of Appendix C..

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 23 August 2022
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Bill Burns, Melanie Petersman, Stacey Meggs, Jim Tivy, Todd Thorne, Nathanial Mohammed

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Scott Hudson, Carsten Brennecke, Eliot Kimber

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00043.html (Harrison, 19 August 2022)
[hold off; issues with attendance]

3. Announcements: none

4. Action items
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
Gershon: Review content about generalization and initiate discussion on e-mail list IN PROGRESS
- Kris; Gershon, you or I should consolidate comments in note to TC.
- Gershon; that's on my to-do list, had something on my plate, but will work on that now.
- Kris; when you do, pls send a note to the list so we can start a conversation about it.
- Gershon; I need to pull my comments about gen'lization into more usable form.

5. Volunteer tasks
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/volunteerTasks
- Nancy; I did the agenda links and updated the page.
- Kris; Dawn, any updates on the draft of changes at 2.0?
- Dawn; yes, making progress, need to touch base with Eliot.
- Kris; when you touch base with Eliot, talk to me as well.
- Dawn; I will.
- Kris; wrt volunteer task pg, should I archive completed items?
[will probably leave it as is now, but as it fills up, Kris will start archiving completed items.]

6. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
- Kris; Eliot has worked on cleanup changes proposals, reviewers?
[Gershon, Nancy volunteered as reviewers]
- Kris; Robert, should we have you as reviewer also? You've implemented most of the cleanup fixes.
- Robert; suppose so...

7. DITA 2.0 stage two proposals
Vote
Issue #670 "Add new impose-role attribute"
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00021.html (Anderson, 15 August 2022)
Robert moved to approve, 2nd Dawn

Voting results:
yes votes 9 (Robert Anderson, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Gershon Joseph, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, )
no votes 0

- Kris; who can review this next time?
[Gershon and Frank will review]

8. DITA 2.0 spec review: Configuration (16-29 August 2022
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00032.html (Eberlein, 16 August 2022)
Reminder (nag) notice:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00036.html (Eberlein, 21 August 2022)
High-level topics for folks who are not content engineers to focus on
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00039.html (Eberlein, 22 August 2022)
Content Fusion login info
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00040.html (Eberlein, 22 August 2022)
- Kris; only Stan has reviewed this so far, we need a bunch of reviewers. for members who aren't experts, pls focus on the 5 high-level topics; they're the ones to focus on. any questions?
[none]
- Kris; everyone preent on a TC call who volunteered, pls try to review this content, Dawn, will Brianna be able to review this content?
- Dawn; we'll do it together, so her comments will come in as mine.
- Kris; there are a variety of ways to create CF acct, incl logging in via Google. Any questions, concerns, thoughts? Anyone who definitely can't do this before 29th?
- Bill; I will also volunteer
- Kris; thx

9. Schedule for upcoming DITA 2.0 spec reviews:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00012.html (Eberlein, 08 August 2022)
- Kris; I suggest that we next tackle coding practices, then generalization, but would folks prefer doing some not-techie reviews in between? e.g. intro topic, and specific appendix topics???
[no one had alternative preferences]

10. GitHub repo for specializations removed from DITA 2.0
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00030.html (Eberlein, 16 August 2022)
Sign up for tasks at https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/volunteerTasks
+ delayed conref resolution domain
- Kris; Robert seeded the repository, and I removed files not relevant. this task pertains mostly to me, Robert, and Eliot. Robert, I forwarded Eliot's mail about his preferences.
- Robert; wrt his preferences, we don't need 'src' at top of directory; we have no source, just a bunch of modules.
- Kris; I think his suggestion of having doctypes would allow us to add other directories, though we hope we won't use them.
Kris; and then we'll separate directories for RNGs & DTDs. Where do we put catalog files?
- Robert; each doctype dir would have a catalog
- Eric; is it better to turn these into separate plugins?
- Robert; that muddies the water with us and DITA-OT; we don't want one master catalog, just a catalog file in each dtd/rng folder, and one catlog file in doctypes directory.
- Kris; we'll need to implement this organization. will you do that, Robert?
***ActionItem: Robert will implement the directory structure just discussed.
- Kris; one open question is for 1.3 we didn't have a base classification map, but we did have one for techcontent. For this release, should we just have a techcontent classification map, or a base one as well?
- Robert; this is the stuff we shipped in 1.3 that we're not shipping anymore, so there was no base classification map; we don't want to create a new one if it wasn't there before.
- Kris; what about a single monolithic schema? Those were for tools that didn't support catalogs.
- Robert; I don't want to make this too complex; very few people will use it; we don't know how folks will be installing the base pkgs, so I'd say 'no'.
- Kris; shall we assume that we don't list paths in shells, and make assumption that either folks will use catalog resolution, or otherwise they'll modify the paths themselves?
[yes]

11. Appendix C content
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00029.html (Eberlein, 16 August 2022)
- Kris; this comes from last week's discussion on where we put things. see my mail for my questions. gen'l discussion?
- Nancy; would need to read it to make comments
- Zoe; are there enough new people who want an explanation of 'non-normative'?
- Kris; good point. The spec has normative and non-normative/informative content. 'Normative' is 'these are the rules that have to be followed', 'non-normative' is notes, examples, and appendices. For 1.3, we were careful to put non-normative content in and appendix rather than langref, where a bunch of it had been before.
- Kris; for most part, what's in screen capture is what went out at 1.3. For 2.0, we've stripped out formatting expectation from langref. that had been a dumping ground. Info that was critical to the spec but non-normative was also problematic; material that had been in spec, but moved because we couldn't figure out where we wanted to put them, especially chapters 5, 10, and 11. Other chapters were more prosaic.
***ActionItem: Kris will send to list her prototype reorg of this chapter.
- Nancy; how shall we do our feedback?
- Robert; email would be good.

12. Recruiting companies and people to the DITA TC
Wiki page: Companies with and without DITA TC membership
Little response from e-mail to dita-users: one Intel employee, Kendall Shaw, expressed interest in joining the TC.
The e-mail was also placed in the latest issue of CIDM Matters: https://www.infomanagementcenter.com/dita-tc-new-voting-members/
- Kris; one prospect, plus Dawn, thx for putting it into CIDMatters. I'm also glad we have 2 new folks from SecurityCompass.
- Todd; what prompted Nat and me to join was Kris's post in dita-users.
- Nat; at SC we don't yet have well-incorporated system that uses DITA XML, but we're working on that. looking to get company to see AI doc mgmt and info mgmt as important. Our interest in joining TC is to get info on how those decisions are made.
- Kris; welcome both of you. was SC already an OASIS member?
- Todd; yes.
- Kris; Stacey, can you tell us a bit about the DITA team at HP Enterprise?
- Stacey; we'll have several new people joining us as well. Could there be an onboarding session for new members? or indiv teams onboarding?
- Gershon; I can share my stuff with anyone who wants it
- Kris; Stacey, can you give us an overview?
- Stacey; we're an embedded IT tean; support anyone at HP who uses DITA, some new acquisitions who use non-standard tools, and we work with them; we meet weekly and align our systems, want to have more of our folks be non-voting members plus will have at least one voting member. Gershon. we've got 5 people who will be joining, observers at outset, will see if we get one or more of of them to become members. I'll be giving onboarding next week. including an overview of what's new in specialization chapter.
- Kris; great, and I'll look through my presentations to see if I have some good slides for you to use.
- Kris; do we need more TC onboarding material. Stacey, Todd, Nat, if you can think of what kind of info would be useful to have, that would be very helpful. Tom Magliery used to do on-boarding for new members.

11:50 am ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 23 August 2022

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison