Subject: Groups - DITA TC Meeting Minutes 27 September 2022 uploaded

Submitter's message
ActionItems:
1. Kris will reach out to Eliot about his proposals and other action items.
2. Nancy will look at drafting topics for the accessibility section of the spec; if she feels she can volunteer, will do so next week.
3. Bill, Stan, and Nancy volunteered to look at 'troublesome' topics from App C review.

Minutes of the OASIS DITA TC
Tuesday, 127 September 2022
Recorded by Hancy Harrison
link to agenda for this meeting:
https://wiki.OASIS-open.org/dita/PreviousAgendas

Attendance:
===========
Robert Anderson, Bill Burns, Stan Doherty, Kris Eberlein, Nancy Harrison, Scott Hudson, Zoe Lawson, Eric Sirois, Dawn Stevens, Frank Wegmann, Todd Thorne, Jim Tivy

Business
========

1. Roll call
Regrets: Eliot Kimber

2. Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00035.html (Harrison, 26 September 2022)
Kris moved, 2nd Eric, approved by TC

3. Announcements
We've lost Carsten Brennecke as a voting member :(

4. Review of DITA 2.0 proposal deadlines
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/DeadlinesDITA2.0
[updates only; see link above for complete list]

Stage three
(Anderson) New impose-role attribute (https://github.com/oasis-tcs/dita/issues/670)
- Kris; is there an update for this one?
- Robert; I'll try again for end of this week [Friday].

***ActionItem: Kris will reach out to Eliot about his proposals and other ActionItems

5. Action items and volunteer tasks
[updates only; see agenda for complete list]
Dawn and Comtech: Develop draft of changes from DITA 1.3 to DITA 2.0
- Kris; any progress on this?
- Dawn; not yet, I'm getting back to it now.
Keith: Draft topics for accessibility section:
"Example: alternate text for an imagemap"
"Example: [accessible] simple topic"
- Kris; since Keith is no longer able to work on these, are there any other volunteers?
- Stan; I'll take a look.
***ActionItem: Nancy will look at it; if she feels she can volunteer, will do so next week

6. (Continued) Discussion of referred comments from the configuration review
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00020.html (Eberlein, 12 September 2022)
- Kris; this is a question on foreign content; I doesn't see ambiguity but what about you, Robert?
- Robert; I'm not sure what's needed for someone new to it.
[discussion seemed to reflect sense of already existing text; no changes will be made]
[configuration review now closed]

7. DITA 2.0 spec review: Coding practices (06-19 September 2022)
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00015.html (Eberlein, 06 September 2022)
Participation as of 11 September 2022
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00019.html (Eberlein, 12 September 2022)
Final status of review
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00030.html (Eberlein, 20 September 2022)
- Kris; this review is completed; all comments have been addressed; see PDF review report for details

8. DITA 2.0 spec review: Introduction (19-26 September 2022)
Opening of review:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00028.html (Eberlein, 19 September 2022)
Open comment:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00038.html (Eberlein, 27 September 2022)
- Kris; first comment [about depending on RNG to capture metadata]; since this is no longer true, should we continue with first item?
- Nancy; does it cost us to keep the current metadata?
- Kris; not so much; do we maintain and update the metadata in the RNG files to allow for the possibility?
- Robert; that should go in public review; it's just not very important; better to have none of it than be inconsistent, but it's work to take it out.
- Kris; let's remove it now and consider adding it bak in later
- Robert; but let's not commented it out; just remove and restore later, if we want to. Otherwise it's commented-out broken stuff.
- Kris; shall we just reword content in the topic, so we're not mentioning having it in the RNG files?
- Nancy; if we take it out, we should take out the mention as well
- Scott; the desire [for Eliot and me] to manintain it is there, but not the time.
- Kris; we'll update it so that it's valid technically, but we'll track it as a deferred comment, and we'll remove it from grammar files and remove text that implies it does; will go back if there's ever time to maintain tools

9. Continued: Appendix C content
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00029.html (Eberlein, 16 August 2022)
Prototype of revised content:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00045.html
NEW Troublesome topics
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00039.html (Eberlein, 27 September 2022)
- Kris; for 1.2 they were in a non-normative app. for 1.3 in App C. Dawn suggested we read these topics. volunteers?
- Bill, Stan, Nancy volunteered, plus Kris and Robert.
- Kris; please read and post comments this week, so we can discuss next week. my recollection is that gen'l one is least critical and easiest to jettison; 3.2 and 3.3 not so much; might need to go into other places or a tutorial (3.3)

10. Generalization
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00002.html (Joseph, 04 September 2022)
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202209/msg00008.html (Eberlein, 06 September 2022)
- Kris; this has been hanging around for awhile. most of us aren't comfortable with generalization content in 1.3 spec; a lot of it was telling processors how to do generalization. We don't want to do that in the spec - i.e. lay out algorithmic details - that's for processors to do. What shall we do with these? Gershon annotated the PDF, then I put together a table that summariszed his comments.
- Kris; we can't go forwad with spec review till we go forward with this.
- Bill; I will take a look.
- Nancy; I hesitate to do it without Gershon, since it was his comments.
- Robert; how many people on call think they are familiar enough with generalization to do this? We could read the topics...
- Dawn; don't know enough
- Kris; I know a bit
- Stan; a decent conceptual picture; high likelihood it's wrong
- Nancy; same as stan
- Eric; I've used it and understand it pretty well.
- Kris; how have you used it?
- Eric; we used it going from a custon DTD that client no longer wanted to use, back to an OASIS version. so if root was based on concept, we'd stop at concept.
- Robert; I know what it is and how it's done; I've written a couple.
- Kris; does DITA-OT have any built-ins that enable generalization?
- Robert; a few scripts; quite trivial; dumps eerything back to base topic or map.
- Scott; I understand it, but I've never found a need for it. I've certainly used constraints, but not generalization.
- Todd; I grasp the concept, but have no clear understanding.
- Frank; the first time I heard of it was in context of TC; so, a vague understanding, but...
- Zoe; I know nothing about it.
- Jim; I'm familiar with specialization but not generalization. What is it?
- Robert; it's the undo button for specialization.
- Jim; I'm aware of it, but
- Kris; does anyone else who does specialization consider how to generalize them back, to validate the legality of your specialization? I do it because something can be valid DTD / XML/ etc., but not valid DITA. People come with a design and as "can you do it for us?" and I have to say, it's not valid DITA. e.g. a design of a specialized topic that doesn't have a body element. For me, generalization is theoretical, but useful for designing specializations.
- Jim; it's an interesting test.
- Robert; I understood something a bit different, as a way to test whether I added extra, or took out essential elements. Basically, it's validating against OOTB DITA.
- Kris; I've done it both programmatically and manually, just as a check on the design.
- Kris; any other volunteers to take a look at these topics? Maybe including my email on where it's mentioned.

11. Schedule for upcoming DITA 2.0 spec reviews:
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/202208/msg00012.html (Eberlein, 08 August 2022)
- Kris; we're ready to open up most of Appendix content; we want to remove 1.3->2.0 migration content. We're ready to do review of for all remaining appendix content, migrating, and 3 trouble topicsa above. So that covers file naming conventions, element by element translation, formatting expectations, 4 topics about OASIS grammar files.
- Scott; I should be able to review this week.
- Stan; if we could go to Tues., I could do it.
- Kris; we'll make this a 2-week review, to give people time to look at 3 topics and/or generalization. So I'll try to have it up for review end of today or beginning of tomorrow.

12 noon ET close

-- Ms. Nancy Harrison
Document Name: DITA TC Meeting Minutes 27 September 2022

No description provided.
Download Latest Revision
Public Download Link

Submitter: Ms. Nancy Harrison