Subject: ditaval file syntax

Hi Folks

I was reviewing DITAVAL syntax and semantics and found I had to dig a bit to find the syntax.

I think I missed the 2.0 review on this section

The current spec does explain semantics well but the syntax was a bit more vague.

As a result I came up with a quick Backus Naur for the syntax. This is a quick draft and the naming and accuracy may offend but the general idea is there.

Do we see any value in this kind of presentation in the spec. Also reference to supporting resources such as XML Schema or RelaxNg for the ditaval file would help, however that would not serve documentation needs.

https://dita.fluidtopics.com/r/Darwin-Information-Typing-Architecture-DITA-Version-1.3-Part-3-All-Inclusive-Edition/val

Syntax

Here is a specification of the syntax of the ditaval file in a roughly extended Backus-Naur form. Although the ditaval file is XML, the XML is removed but the information model is retained and such a model could be serialized into XML.

The names of the syntax rules below relay some semantic information about the actions however, the exact semantics are discussed elsewhere.

actionSet ::= [styleConflictAction],propActions*

propActions ::= includeAction | excludeAction | | passthroughAction |

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂflagAction | revFlagAction

includeAction ::= propSelector

excludeAction ::= propSelector

propSelector ::= propAttrValue | propAllValues | propAllAttrs

propAttrValue ::= attributeName attributeValue

propAllValues ::= attributeName

propAllAttrs ::= attributeValue

flagAction ::= propSelector appearanceDirective [startFlag] [endFlag]

appearanceDirective ::= color | backcolor | style

startFlag ::= demarcateDirective

endFlag ::= demarcateDirective

demarcateDirective ::= imageref [altText]

revFlagAction ::= revValue appearanceDirective

Could relate to a ditaval file XML for instance propAttrValue is represented as:Â

<prop att="audience" val="administrator">

cheers

Jim