doc-mgmt message

Subject: Standardized XML format for OASIS documents or document metadata

On today's doc-mgmt call I was reminded of the advantages that W3C has
enjoyed by standardizing on the format for their deliverables, and in
particular of making sure that at least metadata concerning any official
W3C document is available in a standard XML format.

This is almost an extension of the requirement for persistent URIs, as
essentially it says that not only will there be a constant point at
which the document can be referenced, but a consistent way to query and
obtain metadata about the document that exists at that point (without
necessarily having to download or access the entire document).

Providing a machine-readable, programmable interface to all OASIS
documents will, I suspect, be invaluable as OASIS specifications are
increasingly integrated with other XML specifications and repositories.

=Drummond