doc-mgmt message

Subject: Re: [doc-mgmt] Standardized XML format for OASIS documents or documentmetadata

A couple years ago I made some preliminary inquiries to various XML
authoring tool vendors to see if they might consider giving OASIS
sufficient numbers of free licenses so that the TCs could use their tool
for authoring the TC specs. The results were positive, though admittedly
at the time there were far fewer TCs than today. The reason that I
didn't pursue this further was because at the time we didn't have an
agreed upon template.

We now have these templates, so I suppose that I could make some
inquiries again. (Though of course not all of the companies I talked to
back then are still around.) I suppose to be fair I would have to make
the request to a number of vendors, as we can't have OASIS being
perceived as endorsing the product of any one vendor.

-Karl

Matthew MacKenzie wrote:
> I never suggested we 'mandate' an editing tool, merely that OASIS
> provide licenses for one in the event that we do mandate an XML format
> for the specifications.  I think the W3C does this, and that is probably
> why they have been successful in keeping people away from proprietary
> editing programs.
>
> -matt
> Drummond Reed wrote:
>
>> As a long time document automation advocate, I want to second John's
>> suggestion that while I don't think it will ever be practical (or even
>> desirable) to mandate an editing tool, it does make sense to mandate a
>> common format. The more support the format has, the more editing tools
>> that will support it. (Look how universal HTML support is now.)
>>
>> It would be nirvana to also have a WebDAV interface to that common
>> format, so our different editing tools could all interact with the OASIS
>> repository directly.
>>
>> =Drummond

Karl F. Best
Vice President, OASIS
office  +1 978.667.5115 x206     mobile +1 978.761.1648
karl.best@oasis-open.org      http://www.oasis-open.org