doc-mgmt message

Subject: RE: [doc-mgmt] Requirements: Full Text Retrieval

Clarifying requirement for full text retrieval:
Many full text retrieval programs will operate on multiple types. There is
no need to convert everything to one type. Finding documents by more than
their titles is indispensable. We need more than a text string search, and
more advanced features such as Boolean operator, natural query language the
better.

Karl wrote:
"* searchable text inside of the database (which then implies that we
store only searchable file types, i.e. no GIF or JPEG; but converting
all of the TCs to only =certain file types is a much bigger issue that
will take longer, and we need a doc mgmtm solution quickly, so this
could be put off until later)"

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl F. Best [mailto:karl.best@oasis-open.org]
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 5:13 PM
To: doc-mgmt@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [doc-mgmt] today's meeting

In today's meeting we had seven people in attendence. As we didn't have
a completed summary of requirements received to date for prioritization,
we held further discussion/brainstorming on requirements. We were not
able to come up with a time for the next meeting that was acceptable to
everyone, so we will do the following:

We will continue to accumulate requirements via the email list until the
end of this week. At that point we'll ask Matt and Stan to compile and
categorize a complete list of requirements, and send out to the list by
early next week. At that point I'll ask everyone to send in their
priorities for items on the list, which I will compile.

Some of the priorities suggested today:

* persistent URL (agreed that this is proibbaly the most important item)
* simple filenames; no database query strings
* mapping/resolution of URLs to files in the database (a catalog?
perhaps use the XRI TC's spec?)
* multipart files (incl. HTML that links to graphics)
* OASIS needs a process for publishing TC meeting minutes, with
attachments; is this part of the doc mgmt requirements?
* searchable text inside of the database (which then implies that we
store only searchable file types, i.e. no GIF or JPEG; but converting
all of the TCs to only =certain file types is a much bigger issue that
will take longer, and we need a doc mgmtm solution quickly, so this
could be put off until later)
* all docs must be publicly viewable; no possibility of "private" docs
* simple user interface (similar to ftp via browser?)
* distributed source control system, with multiple authors (peer to peer
collaboration, Groove, Wiki, etc.)

-Karl